Print Page | Close Window

Printed From: The Gallipoli Association
Category: Gallipoli Association forum
Forum Name: New members
Forum Description: an area for new members to introduce themselves or seek advice etc.
URL: http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2197
Printed Date: 23 Jul 2019 at 00:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Member
Posted By: BELL7001
Subject: New Member
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 20:22
Hi my name is Roy, my interest in the Gallipoli campaign comes from studying family history. I have a 'soldiers small book' for my great grand father a' Private' Peter Cotcher 22336, who joined up on the 26th July 1915, in Whitehaven.

I am lead to believe he was a 'Special Reservist' and sadly he died of wounds received in action on the 19th November 1915.

What I have found so far, is that he completed his initial training with the 3rd Special Reserve battalion at Shoeburyness in Essex prior to going out to Gallipoli with a draft of reinforcements towards the end of the campaign.

I am hoping to learn more about the campaign, and in particular the involvement of the Border Regiment. And also how the campaign will be remembered come 2015.

I may also be interested in visiting Gallipoli in 2015, so any information would be appreciated.

Regards...Roy  

Replies:
Posted By: Peter Trounson
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 09:10
G'day Roy,

Welcome to the Association. You will find this forum a great resource. Those of us with experience in regard to the English side of things will be able to point you in the right direction as far as resources goes. Will add a bit more in the next day or so.

Cheers cobber,

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:20
Roy,

Welcome to the Association and indeed the forum, its great to have you with us.

Your Great Grandfather's Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 10/10/1915 and serving with the 1st Bn. Border Regiment.

You can download the war diary for the 1st Bn Border Regiment from the National Archives in Kew.

You might be interested in these extracts from the War Diary

16 November

Relieved the RIF in the fire trenches the relief being completed by 12.30. All was quiet on our front but the enemy made an attack in the neibourhood of G12 at about 2130 and again at about 0130. work continued on the trenches generally, especially on the bombardment shelters. Alternative gun positions were made during the night which enfilades F12, F13 & F13.

17 November (1945hrs)

The enemy opened a rapid fire on our trenches which continued about 20 minutes. We did not reply & it died down. A catapult bomb accident occurred at dawn killing one man & wounding two. At about 1900 a heavy rainstorm broke which lasted for nearly two hours. The trenches were bailed dry and the following day the draining of the trenches was completed. No parapets however fell in.

18/19 November

Work continued on the trenches as usual. The enemy were very quiet on our immediate front.

20 November (0830hrs)

Relief by S.W.B. commenced & by 1230 the Battalion was back in B'de reserve at ESKI LINES leaving the 4 M Guns in the firing line & 1 Company in PARSONS ROAD. 
Casualties for week ending 20/11/15.
Officers: - Nil
Rank & File: - Killed - 1, Died of Wounds - 2, Wounded - 7, Missing - Nil, Sick - 10.

The Battalion War Diary shows now casualties on 14/15/16 or 18/19 November, it is reasonable to assume that your Great Grandfather was possibly one of the two soldiers who were injured during the Catapult bomb explosion.

I have taken the liberty of posting your Great Grandfather on the Association Roll of Honour, you may view his entry here.

http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2199&title=cotcher-peter-pte-22336-dow-19-11-15" rel="nofollow - http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2199&title=cotcher-peter-pte-22336-dow-19-11-15

-------------
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:28
Roy, further to the above, I believe that Peter had been a reservist prior to the war and that in August 1914 he enlisted for short service with the Border Regiment but was discharged on 16/11/1914 on medical grounds.

It would appear that he managed to re-enlist and get overseas.

-------------
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Posted By: Krithia
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 23:40
Welcome to the Gallipoli Association and Forum Roy.

With reference to tours I can probably help you. We have a tour going out this Sunday, so I will keep this brief as I am the guide on it and packing the bags now. Of course we are also planning tours in 2014 and beyond. More will be announced in the forthcoming months, but feel free to email me at webmaster@gallipoli-association.org for details.

As you Private Peter Cotcher, I can help a little more. This is what the Gallipoli Association holds on him:

No.22336  “B” Company, 1st Battalion

Born in July 6, 1881, in Whitehaven, Cumberland, the father of James Cotcher of Easington Lane, Hetton-le-Hole, Co. Durham. Husband Catherine Jane (née Telford) Cotcher (married June 11, 1911, in Houghton-le-Spring, Co. Durham) of 20, Ribton Lane, Whitehaven.  He was formerly married to Elizabeth (née Hughes) Cotcher (married December 24, 1902, at the Whitehaven Registry Office; died in March quarter, 1908, in Whitehaven).  Father of Annie (born September 21, 1905), James (born December 1, 1912) and Peter (born October 12, 1915).  In civil life he was employed as labourer.  On July 26, 1915, he reenlisted from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion The Border Regiment in Whitehaven for the duration of the war.  At the time of his enlistment he was described as being 5’ 6” tall and weighing 133 lbs. with a scar on the left side of his chin.  Died of wounds in the Helles sector on November 19, 1915, aged 34 years.  Buried Lancashire Landing Cemetery, Helles.  (NOTE: He is referred to as both Cotcher and Cotchen in his dossier.)

Private Cotcher’s personal effects were sent to his widow from the Infantry Records Office in Preston, Lancashire, in a brown paper parcel in May 1916.  She was granted a war gratuity pension of 20 shillings 6 pence per week for herself and their children beginning June 12, 1916.

I hope this helps,

All the best, Stephen

Posted By: BELL7001
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 19:22
Thank you for getting back to me, This really is appreciated. I am now really interested in finding out more information about the campaign and the brave men that served there.
I must say I am greatly Impressed on the amount of information held by the association.
In this case it looks like Peter Cotcher  just had to 'get in the war'.
Stephen I hope your latest trip is a success and look forward to gaining more information on future trips to these battlefields.

Thanks again

Regards...Roy

Posted By: Peter Trounson
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 22:15
G'day Roy,

By far the greatest amount of information the Association has is the data and facts that are known by the various members. As their interests are many and varied most enquiries can be sorted out. So if you are unsure of anything ask away!

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk