Print Page | Close Window

Greetings

Printed From: The Gallipoli Association
Category: Gallipoli Association forum
Forum Name: New members
Forum Description: an area for new members to introduce themselves or seek advice etc.
URL: http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1846
Printed Date: 25 May 2019 at 17:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greetings
Posted By: STYLES6965
Subject: Greetings
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 18:22
Hello all,

My name is Anthony Styles. I am a recently retired police officer. I am married to Lindsey and I am an honours undergraduate student at Wolverhampton University. All being well in just over a years time I will have an honours degree in War Studies. Apart from the Gallipoli Association I am a member of the Western Front Association, The Friends of Lochnagar, and The Richard III Society.

Since I was a young boy sitting at my grandfathers feet listening to his anecdotal stories of his exploits during World War II, I have had an immense fascination and gratitude for those now almost lost generations who fought for the freedom we largely take for granted today. I wear my poppy in recognition and pride for all those who fought (and died) in the seminal catastrophe that was the Great War. May their names liveth forevermore. I have always felt inclined also to raise my hat to all those contributors from the then colonies and dominions who fought for the mother country. In particular I have always held a special esteem for Australia and New Zealand , the Anzacs, who provided over 800,000 men who were volunteers to a man. Their example will live forever.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to all the members of the Gallipoli Association and I will whenever I can further the cause of the association and during my yearly tours to the battlefields I will endeavour to perpetuate the theme of remembrance.

Replies:
Posted By: Peter Trounson
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 21:21
G'day Anthony,

A very warm welcome to the Association. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have of the campaign as there are many people here willing to help where they can  and we in turn no doubt can learn from you. Wishing you a most fruitful time with the Association. If you can make it come to the Conference at Birmingham in June where you will be able to meet face to face with many of the members.

Cheers cobber,

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 22:03
G'day to you mate,

As I was born and raised in Birmingham and Tally Ho! was my home during my working life I will try my best to attend.

Cheers!!

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:08
Hi Anthony

Welcome to the Association and the forum.

I hope you get as much enjoyment from the association as I have.

My particular interest is in the Irish who served in the Great War in every contingent (British, Anzac, NZEF, Indian and AEF). My main research interest is the Gallipoli campaign.

I look forward to any input you may have on the forum.

Best regards,

Mal

-------------
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:46
Hi Mal,

I suppose my main interests in the GW are in the exploits of the Worcesters and the South Staffords. It was my need to know how my great great uncle Charles Styles of 'D' Coy 3rd Battalion the Worcesters met his end at Vimy Ridge in 1916. The South Staffs have a special connection with the Wolverhampton branch of the WFA. Still attending the branch meetings is the daughter of William Henry Carter, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar et al. William joined the army in 1897 as a private and served throughout the Boar War and the GW. By the time the GW ended he was a Leiutenant Colonel and acting Brigadier General.

My interest in the Gallipoli campaign has always been constant but is mainly fuelled by my admiration for the Anzacs and was kindled if you like with my meeting an Australian Vietnam veteran, Denis Manski who was the descendant of a Galipolli participant. In fact I hope Denis is a member and reads this. We've kind of lost touch over the last 5 years.

So I'm rather beholding to Gallipoli Association members to bring me up to speed on the campaign which might in a year or twos time be augmented with a tour to the Dardonelles.

Regards,

Tony.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk