Print Page | Close Window

"W Company 1bn Royal Dublin Fuliliers"

Printed From: The Gallipoli Association
Category: Gallipoli Association forum
Forum Name: New members
Forum Description: an area for new members to introduce themselves or seek advice etc.
URL: http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1819
Printed Date: 24 Jul 2019 at 00:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "W Company 1bn Royal Dublin Fuliliers"
Posted By: momsirish
Subject: "W Company 1bn Royal Dublin Fuliliers"
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 02:32

Hi:

I hope there are many helpful and kindhearted members who know something about W company of the 1/Royal Dublin Fuslier's. They were the company that remained on the River Clyde until nightfall on 25/4/1914. I believe Captain Crosier, and Lts, O'hara,and Boustead were members of W company. The man I'm researching Patrick Delaney 9364 was a Private at that time, and it is thought that he was in W company too. In 1918 he was CSM of W company and I wonder if he had always been in W cmpany? Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this question?

Thanks to all

momsirish

Replies:
Posted By: CRICHTONSTU2730
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 12:49
Rather belatedly, I have researched Lieutenant Henry Desmond O'Hara of "W" company and can confirm that the officers of this company were Captain Herbert Charles Crozier and Captain A W Molony, Lieutenants Lawrence Clive Boustead, CSM C Smith and CQMS P Curran.

On the night of 25 April 1915 the "W" Company officers were, as you say, Crozier, Boustead and O'Hara.  I know that O'Hara's batman Private Redmond was wounded, but I am afraid I have no more names of soldiers.

Good luck with your search.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 06:47
Hello Stu:
  Thanks for the reply.   Most of the information I have regarding the 1BN RDF are from the national Archives, The members of the Great War forum and the War Diaries, and some information which Mal Murray confirmed. and also some wonderful members of the RDF Association who have been most helpful.
   My soldier Patrick Delaney has no surviving service or medical records.    The war Diary of Oct 1, 1918 shows him dying of wounds on 9/28/1918 as CSM of 'W" Company.  I'm trying to get more information regarding his service.   A mutual friend of Mal and I was able to send me a copy of a February 1919 Moderator Newspaper which notes  P. Delaney receiving the DCM.  On that same page (no date was shown) is a mention of a Mr. Crozier giving a lecture and telling of his experiences on Gallipoli (Dardanelles).   I believe that that Mr. Crozier may be our Herbert C. Crozier.  In 1922 Captain Crozier was Major H.C. Crozier of the Kings Regiment (Liverpool) at the disbandonment.    I have not had time to look up if Capt H.C. Crozier left any personal papers.  If papers do exist they may give us a better aspect of the 1Bn and its "W" Coy men.

momsirish

Posted By: CRICHTONSTU2730
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 09:56
Hi, having done a quick google on Major Crozier, I found a little information, but it is not really of much help to your research:

London Gazette 2 July 1915: awarded the Military Cross for the action at Sedd el Bahr on 26 April 1915.

London Gazette 15 January 1916 he was a Temporary Major RDF

Post war he appears to have gone to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, presumably as an instructor. In May 1919 Major HC Crazier RDF was in G Coy, in the Officers Intercompany 330 yard relay race, in May 1920 he scored 12 runs playing in the Gentlemen Cadets v Officers match.

He died on 29 January 1961 at Portobello House, Dublin. His Dublin address was 26 Montpelier Hill, Dublin. He is buried in the family grave in Mount Jerome Cemetery, on the headstone he is described as Major Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

His probate record indicates that he left £29,809 15s 2d to John Richard Molony carpet salesman.

Several "Public" family trees on the Ancestry web site indicate that he was known as "Bertie".

The National Archives only seem to have his Medal Index Card.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 06:55
Stu:  Thanks for that information.  That indicates there is a possibility that both P. Delaney and H.C. Crozier may not have been in "W" Company at the same time.     However, even though a CSM can also be shifted from company to company , a researcher indicated that for a private to become a CSM of a company in war time it is also probable that he was a long time member of that company?    That is why I felt Delaney was probably with "W" Company at the landing on "V" Beach. 

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 16:38
I have as you are all aware been researching the Irish at Gallipoli and during this research some very interesting information has popped up.

With regards to the company designations within 1 R.D.F. it can be quite confusing depending on the resource used.

The CWGC show various soldiers from 1 RDF under various company designations "A" to "D" and also "W" to "Z", The War Diary in places uses the later designations as well.

Yet I have come across the following entry in the History of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

"It will have been noticed above that the companies have been described as lettered from "A" to "H" for actually the four company battalion organisation introduced in the Army quartered in the United Kingdom by Special Army Order of September 26th 1913, was not introduced into the British Corps serving in India until rather less than a year later; and it is only on August 1st, 1914 that a notice appears in Battalion Orders directing that in future companies are to be trained as double companies."

It then goes on to list the four double companies as "A" Double Company to "D" Double Company"

And yet in a subsequent entry lists the command structures of "W" to "Z" Companies and subsequent to that lists the members of companies (Medics, Machine Gunners etc) as being allocated to companies designated "A" to "D".

There is NO mention in the company roll of appointments of Private Delaney in the Machine Gun or attached sections.

So in essence the following may be also the interpration of the company designations

"A" or "W" Coy

"B" or "X" Coy

"C" or "Y" Coy

"D" or "Z" Coy

Confusing or what and we talk about the "Fog of War".

With regard to Private Redmond (Captain O'Hara's Batman mentioned above), The History of the RDF shows 11249 (I believe that this is incorrect and should read 11247) Private Redmond as a Batman in "D" Company surviving the war and also serving in the Machine Gun Corps.

-------------
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk