Print Page | Close Window

100th Anniversary ticket ballot

Printed From: The Gallipoli Association
Category: Gallipoli Association forum
Forum Name: Gallipoli in the News/Media
Forum Description: This forum is for members to post news or media reports with regards to Gallipoli that they feel may be of interest to other members.
URL: http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1702
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2019 at 16:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 100th Anniversary ticket ballot
Posted By: Peter Trounson
Subject: 100th Anniversary ticket ballot
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 03:42
The original can be viewed at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/tour-agents-worried-by-gallipoli-ballot-plan/4282664" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/tour-agents-worried-by-gallipoli-ballot-plan/4282664

Tour agents worried by Gallipoli ballot plan

Updated Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35am AEST

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/crowds-of-people-gather-to-attend-the-dawn-service/4282666" rel="nofollow">Crowds of people gather to attend the Dawn Service at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/crowds-of-people-gather-to-attend-the-dawn-service/4282666" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-26/ballot-for-anzac-day-100th-anniversary-in-gallipoli/4281694" rel="nofollow - http://maps.google.com/?q=39,35%28Turkey%29&z=5" rel="nofollow -

Tour organisers have expressed reservations about the Federal Government's plans to limit the number of people who can attend the 100th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.

Australia has been  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-26/ballot-for-anzac-day-100th-anniversary-in-gallipoli/4281694" rel="nofollow - allocated about 8,000 tickets for the 2015 commemoration  at Anzac Cove.

The Government has announced a ballot will be used to decide who can attend.

John Basarin, who is planning a tour for the event, says he thinks people will be discouraged from going to the commemorations.

"When something like this happens, I think the first reaction of the people will be 'Well, it's going to be too hard, I won't go'," he said.

"That's a pity in some sense because it's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

Because of geographical and safety concerns, there will be a 10,000-person limit on the number of people able to attend the Dawn Service to be shared on an 80-20 basis between Australia and New Zealand.

Veterans Affairs Minister Warren Snowdon says the ballot system will ensure tickets are allocated in a fair way and will include a ban on reselling tickets to other people.

"Obviously, there will be disappointments through this process because clearly I don't think we're going to be able to provide for everyone who wants to attend," he said.

Mr Basarin says he fears the Government is trying to save money by limiting the number of people who can attend.

He argues Australia should be paying for the commemorations to be broadcast at other spots to the north and south of Anzac Cove.

"Catering for another 20, 30 to 40,000 people would cost them a lot of money, but would Australians mind spending taxpayer money for something so momentous as this event?"

The branch president of the News South Wales RSL, Don Rowe, says the organisation was always aware a limited number of people would be able to visit the site for the centenary event.

He has suggested holding the commemoration for a week to allow more people to pay their respects.

"I dare say many people will be disappointed because ... a great many people have already bought tickets and are in the process of purchasing tickets," he said.

"Tour companies are encouraging people to go [but] there's no guarantee that they're going to get on the shores of Gallipoli according to the Minister."

Information on how to register for the ballot will be released next year, at the end of a public consultation process to consider the best way to administer the system.

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Replies:
Posted By: Krithia
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 11:01
An "80-20 basis between Australia and New Zealand"?

Does that mean those from the UK and elsewhere in the world are being denied access to the Anzac Commemorations? Do they not realise that many of these people had Anzac and British relatives that landed here on 25 April and may want to be present?

Why should the Australian government decide what maybe should be a Turkish decision?

Posted By: Lone Pine
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 12:09
All hotels are fully booked and have been for years, we have been on a waiting list for 2 years for a room, hopeless!!

So will  make our own arrangements!

-------------
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 19:04
Alas there is no way to keep everyone remotely near happy with this one. It is estimated that there are a million Australians who are related to Gallipoli veterans. So just from an Anzac perspective do you give preference to the relatives of the servicemen who -: 

- served the longest time at Gallipoli
- were killed or fatally wounded
- were the most decorated 
- lived the longest etc etc

My preference would be the veterans children of whom world wide would probably get to the 10,000 mark.

Then unfortunately that excludes people such as myself who though not having a direct Gallipoli connection (unless you include my wifes great grandfather) just by my interest in the campaign knows more than most Australians about it will miss out. That sucks but that's life and there are lots of people who want to go who will miss out.

The unfortunate part of the Anzac area as we all know is that it is a very compact area and I for one do not want to see the ceremony area expanded at the expense of losing more of the original battlefield. Therefore common sense would dictate that there should be more memorial services at other times of the day as well. Yes, I know that is not perfect and everyone will not be happy with it but I can see no other solution. Some Australians and Kiwis may also be happy with a service at Suvla or Helles where their relatives served/died. 

I am presuming as all these events have to be agreed to by Turkey, New Zealand and Australia (which is the norm) then the Turks must have agreed to this ballot idea so regardless of who runs it the decision has already been made.

It is going to be an interesting debate.

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 19:18
Well thats me then, cause my Grandad died at Lone Pine and I am English and so was Grandad, being born in Brick London in 1890 

-------------

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 12:38
With no disrespect intended to anyone or any nation, this is why I suggest that we as an Association should be advocating another day (21 August 2015, see my letter in the Gallupolian) as the Centenary date for the campaign.

As I have said so many times, the 25th of April has become part of the national identity of Australia and New Zealand, so much so that to encroach on it would be wrong.

We must choose a date that allows all nations with a connection to the Gallipoli Campaign to commemorate and remember those who served and died during the campaign equally.

What better day than the high-tide of the campaign, the date of the last big allied offensive, the date when the mist troops were deployed; the 21st of August.

This would prevent any unseemly falling out over who has the right to commemorate and allow for the dignified commemoration of those who served at Gallipoli.

Mal

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 15:00
Some good points Peter, and Carole as you know a very high proportion of Anzacs were 'British' born and bred, even some with Eastend accents Smile

To put it into context it is only at the ANZAC commemoration area that I believe they are controlling the numbers for, but I ausppose lets see if this changes. I am planning to be there on 25th April but will be at the International commemoration event at the Helles and Turkish Memorial.

On the date change I can understand what you are trying to achieve Mal, but personally I disagree with you (this must be a first Mal Wink), and think the task to generate public support, influence the larger cities as well as the local towns and villages that have smaller ceremonies on that day, and also justify to the British armed forces the change of date, it would be too difficult and extremely risky. The 21st August does not sit well in my personal view and in the real world I just cannot see it working. Outside of those with a historical campaign interest, would the general public understand why the 21st August had been chosen? I doubt they would understand it, even if explained. I am sure that the Australians, New Zealanders, French, Indians, Irish, Maltese and Turks would not appreciate a change of date, and without them I think a UK-only event would be somewhat lacking. I believe it has to be an international event (and 25th April is international already), just as the campaign was international. The 25th April has been in the commemoration diary since 1916, and it is likely to remain. Let our Australian and New Zealand friends keep their dominance, at least they bring energy and help carry the Gallipoli remembrance torch on for future generations. This flame is unlikely to dim anytime soon!

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 16:27
Hi Steve,

At last we don't agree about something Thumbs Up, I am glad thats out of the way at last. And it is from disagreements such as this that the seeds planted in debate grow into harvestable and productive ideas.

When I made the suggestion I totally understood the magnitude of the task that lay in front. Yet I still believe that it is not an insurmountable challange. I believe that there is a network already in place which could be utilised to help publish this goal. There are so many organisations with shared commemorative goals such as our; the WFA, the Salonica Association, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association, the French Association etc, not to mention all the Regimental Museums and other such organisations. These organisations could be used to get the message out there.

I agree that the general public may not understand the selection of that date (21) but then again how many of that same public understand the 25th of April (due mainly to the fact it is considered as an Australian/New Zealand day). It is up to us all who seek to commemorate those who served during the Great War (and whichever campaign is of particular interest) to "EDUCATE" and inform the general public of the campaigns which we study.

I have already suggested this date into the Irish system and it has met with favourable response and this from in a country where the Irish involvement in the Gallipoli campaign is consigned to a bare two line in a rebel song ("It is better to die neath an Irish sky, than at Suvla or Sudd-el Bahr").

With no disrepect to the Australians or New Zealanders (I cannot stress this enough as there were lots of Irish accents to be heard at Anzac as well) but can we really say that Anzac Day is an International commemoration; yes it is held Internationally, but has a mainly Anzac commemorative intent.

It is just under 3 years (30 odd months) to the Centenary year, I believe that this goal is achievable, after all wars have been lost and won in less time.  With a properly co-ordinated operational plan and the mutual support of the organisations mentioned above and so many other like-minded organisations of which there are many dual members it can be achieved.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 17:51
I find it rather interesting that it is the Anzac ceremonies that occur on the 25th where as the Turkish, French and commonwealth ceremonies are traditionally held on the 24th. I would presume this is out of respect of the Anzac ceremonies which if I am correct would pre-date the others (even though these ceremonies are not held with-in the Anzac area). As far as I am aware Steve it is only the North Beach ceremony that at the moment is having the ballot but I think that the ballot will also happen for the Lone Pine service. I have not heard anything about what the Kiwis are doing at the Chunuk Bair ceremony which is not surprising as our seventh state is always a bit lax. 

By the way as an interesting absurdity have a look at this site and the mention of Chunuk Bair being the only success for the allies of the campaign! Would love to hear the tour guides commentary on one of their tours. 
  http://www.anzacbooking.com/?murtis_tours=chunuk_bair_gallipoli" rel="nofollow - http://www.anzacbooking.com/?murtis_tours=chunuk_bair_gallipoli

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 18:06

Peter as always a fountain of information.

As for the only allied success, their greatest success in my eyes was actually getting onto the beaches and staying there for nine months. These are aspects of success that I don't feel get enough praise. But then I am thinking like a retired soldier, and realise what it took for the men on the ground to achieve what they did, despite the odds.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 18:49
I agree Mal. I have a good knowledge of WW1 battles and I find Gallipoli the most intriguing battlefield of the lot and of the whole battlefield Anzac has to be one of the most tenuously held front lines in the whole of history. When I was talking to Kenin Celik a couple of years back he was talking about how intriguing the Turks tactics (or lack of them) were at the time and how it seems so absurd that the allies at Anzac could not beaten as the line in effect was so thin and shallow. Haluk Oral was also saying that the Turks have hundreds of thousands of written items in their archives that would shed light on the Turkish side of things but they need to be translated from the old Ottoman script and as usual there are not enough resources available to make significant inroads. Apparently the reports were written on anything that was at hand as paper was not always in ready supply so some of the reports were written on packing cases, cloth etc. then sent on to Constantinople.

Suppose I should brush up on my old Ottoman script.  :-))

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 13:50
I think everyone here is making valid points, but even so, how many people know that the 25th April is celebrated as ANZAC Day, because of the landings at Gallipoli, I certianly did not until I found out about Grandad, I had no idea that there was even a service at the Cenotaph, mind you this coming from someone who had never heard of the Field of Remembrace at Westminste Abbey either. 

I knew a little about Gallipoli but that was it, did not even occur to me that the ANZAC forces had landed there nor the French for that matter, it was glossed over at school with just a small mention that was it. Perhaps if we changed it to the 21st August more people might then know about Gallipoli and that is the problem over here as far as I can see, no one seems to know very much about it.  

There are two "big" films, one Gallipoli with Mel Gibson (swoon) and All The Kings Men, which John tells me is factually incorrect.  We need to get the message out to the UK about Gallipoli.  I have a friend who actually won a BAFTA, and am trying my hardest to get her to do something about Gallipoli for 100 year anniversary, the trouble is she says there is not much interest in it.

Its always about the Western Front, I think I have posted this before but I used wonder why it was called a World War, cause all you ever hear about is France. 

We have found out now that I had a Great Uncle (Grandads Brother) serving in Salonika, first thing out of my mouth was where is Salonika, never heard of it, there is so much to do, to get Gallipoli out there, and such a short time in which to do it.

Whether we will get it changed to 21st August remains to be seen, but the most important thing as far as I am concerned is to tell people about Gallipoli.

Oh yes my Grandad was a real East Ender, you should see where his father came from nightmare!

Oh and if the ANZAC's think they are going to keep me away from my Grandad on the 25th April, they had better watch out, after all I am a Grandaughter of the 4th Battlaion AIF.   

-------------

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 17:41
In our area of the Pacific Carol, Anzac Day is just second nature to us. It is celebrated by Anzac Forces wherever they are around the world. Every town of any note would have a memorial service of some sort during the day. Many are held at dawn. The one held in Melbourne which is our state capital has around 40,000 people in attendance at the dawn service and then there is a parade of 12,000 ex/servicemen and women. So for many of us down here in the Antipodes it would not necessarily come to mind that other people would not have heard of it. At least Gallipoli is a bit more in the public mind in Europe than say the African and Iraq WW1 campaigns. The unfortunate thing about Gallipoli is that it was a defeat and apart from the special circumstance which the campaign was to Australia and New Zealand for the rest of the world it was something that largely was best forgotten. Thus the Western Front with its huge battles and matching casualty rates was ultimately a success so that was far more positive in a political context to promote than to dwell on the balls up which was Gallipoli. (a bit simplistic I know but you get my drift).

We mustn't get too blinkered by the centenary as though it is a good time to promote the Association it is a time especially over here that if you don't stand out in some way you will be drowned out by everything else that goes on. I haven't heard of anything that is being done committee wise as far as the centenary goes though that is not to say my bleary night shift eyes has not missed something. This is where I give Mal credit for suggesting the date change. I am in two minds about the idea but at least if it was put out in the public domain it would create some discussion and bring the Gallipoli campaign to the fore. I always note on my correspondence to the National Archives, War Museum etc that I am a member of the Gallipoli Association which makes our Association a more familiar entity to them. If every member did that then it would be a good start to getting the Association more well known.

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Posted By: judy
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 20:52
So well expressed Peter.  Anzac Day is just second nature to us.  I grew up in the 50s in Canberra and always attended the Dawn Service at the AWM and later in the day went along to the march. Until I retired to live in UK and first went to Gallipoli a few years ago, I have to say that I hadn't really given much thought about any other nations even being there.  My first trip there was with a UK based company with battlefield historian on board and my eyes were truly opened.  I am really so thankful to have had that sort of introduction (a 7 day tour with just one day in the Anzac Sector). How to get things into perspective!   I do have two relatives who fought there (one died later in another theatre) and have been back independently to search out more about them and some other Australians.
However now I know so much more of all the events of the 25th April 1915, I am not sure I would like to see Gallipoli Day being changed.  Perhaps it's the image of the River Clyde at V Beach.  However I have been thinking about Mal's points and am pondering.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 23:25
I am the same Peter where ever I go if I start to talk about Gallipoli I ALWAYS mention the Association, some people have not heard of it and they say to me that  they will come on here, whether they do or not I don't know, but at least I am trying. 

This has to be on the quiet, when I went on our Cruise this year, went with Thomson, and they did a cruise to Canakkale in 2009, which we went on to visit my Grandad Big smile, when I was on this year I did mention to Bram (Cruise Director) about the 100 year celebration coming up and he said he will "kick it upstairs" so perhaps there may be a cruise going from the UK.  When ever a Thomson ship comes out of the Dardanelles from Istanbul, they always hold a small service and a minutes silence, which is nice to know.  I don't know about the other cruise lines though.

I know for a fact there is  a cruise coming in from Australia, cause I asked them if they could pick us up in Egypt, but no, no, I would  have to fly to Australia and pick it up thereShocked So that is out, time wise and financial wise as well.

-------------

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 12:09
Re the ballot - if I were wishing to go to the Anzac Day Dawn service centenary commemoration at Gallipoli and lived in UK or elsewhere and could not be included in the ballot, I would not be at all pleased (very mild expression).  It will be interesting to see what unfolds. 

Re 21 August, I did ponder and realised I had made an error.  I was thinking about Gallipoli Day being moved rather than the centenary commemoration being held on 21 August.  All communication about it clearly says 'centenary' - so my fault entirely.  I am now fully behind the 21 August proposal for all the reasons outlined by Mal.

I too mention the Gallipoli Association whenever I can.  At least 2 Australians here in London have looked astonished when I've mentioned it - one rose to full height and said 'what's that for'.  I was  pleased to be able to tell him and also pleased to say that he did listen.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 12:38
Judy,

Many thanks for you support.

I fervently believe that if we speak publicly about Gallipoli and the objectives of the Gallipoli Association, we are educating people with regards to the campain and those who served.

We must take the high ground with regards to all things Gallipoli.

I know that Steve is doing great work in this regards, both on the website and with the tours in getting the message across and we all must build on his work.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 17:40
Judy, 

You didn't make clear if you are an Australian citizen or not. If you are as it stands at the moment you would be entitled to be in the ballot. It would be political suicide for the government of the day to allocate any of the very small number of tickets for anyone but Aussies or Kiwis. Keep in mind this will have to be sorted out soon and next year the Australian federal election is due. It would be a very brave government to do anything else seeing how the government at the moment relies on a few independents and an errant politician to stay in power. 

This may not be viewed kindly by other people from other nations but that is the reality of it. 

Even if they did allocate some tickets, lets say 1000 to other countries then what criteria will they have to meet? Once you start to extrapolate the veterans families and country of origins it gets very messy indeed. The PR people or the truth makers are going to be flat out with this one!

I think the veterans of the campaign would be looking down at us wondering what the hell all this fuss is about for very few of them had kind words about the place.

Still I am looking forward to what spin gets put on it. 

Enjoy your day Judy,

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 19:45
Peter

Many thanks for the clarification - I can now see that as things stand I could enter the ballot.  I didn't make it at all clear that I'm an Australian citizen - born, brought up and resident until 7 years ago.  I am proud to now have UK citizenship as well.  There will have to be some way of informing Australian citizens living overseas of the procedure to apply.  The spin is indeed going to be very interesting!!

Thank you again for so many good points.

Judy   

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:36
Hi

I think, from what I can remember you can apply for tickets via the Australian Embassy here in London or in Turkey, and if I recall correctly when I spoke to someone in Australia about Lone Pine they said I should contact the Australian Embassy in Turkey but start with the London one first and they should know.

-------------

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:57
Hi Judy,

The ballot is not going to happen until 2014. It may be worthwhile to contact the Australian Embassy early next year to put your name down if they will let you. Not much sense doing it earlier as none of the details have been confirmed yet and they will at the moment be as much in the dark as we are. Whatever happens you will have an opportunity to register. I would presume this day and age it will be all done on the Internet anyway more than likely on the DVAs website. Will keep this post updated as I find out anything more concrete.

Cheers,

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 22:16
Thank you Peter, please if you would I would LOVE to be there at LP for the celbrations WOW 

-------------

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 22:46
Yes, thank you Peter. Very helpful.
Judy

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 08:34
A bit of web trawling came up with these sites that are commenting on the ballot that are worthwhile perusing.

http://www.gallipoli-2015.com.au/gallipoli-cruise/tag/ballot" rel="nofollow - http://www.gallipoli-2015.com.au/gallipoli-cruise/tag/ballot

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/uproar-at-2015-gallipoli-dawn-service-quota-ballot/story-e6frg8yo-1226482169781" rel="nofollow - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/uproar-at-2015-gallipoli-dawn-service-quota-ballot/story-e6frg8yo-1226482169781

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-28/gallipoli-ballot-for-centenary-celebrations/4282622" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-28/gallipoli-ballot-for-centenary-celebrations/4282622

http://www.seniorau.com.au/index.php/more-seniorau-news/3031-anzac-day-2015-gallipoli-ballot" rel="nofollow - http://www.seniorau.com.au/index.php/more-seniorau-news/3031-anzac-day-2015-gallipoli-ballot

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/371584/port-sub-branch-backs-gallipoli-ballot/?cs=263" rel="nofollow - http://www.portnews.com.au/story/371584/port-sub-branch-backs-gallipoli-ballot/?cs=263

Cheers,

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 06:04
Ok good people. It is now time to become very friendly with as many Australians as one can. The following is the details for the upcoming ballot for the 2015 Anzac Day service including eligibility. Though true friendship cannot be bought it is not to say that that would be out of the question for some people. The Kiwis are going down the same path so it would pay to go hug a Kiwi as well.  :-)

About the Ballot

Why is there going to be a ballot?

A large number of Australians and New Zealanders have indicated interest in attending Anzac Day services at Gallipoli in 2015.  But, as the site is a small constrained area surrounded by the sea and steep terrain, it can only comfortably and safely hold 10,500 people.

Can I register for the ballot now?

No, there is no pre-registration for the ballot.

How do I register for the ballot?

It is likely there will be several methods available to register for the ballot – the main way being online. Details will be publicly advised later in the year, prior to the ballot opening.

How many times can I register for the ballot?

Only one registration per eligible person is permitted in the ballot.

When can I apply?

It is expected that the ballot will open for registrations on 1 November 2013 and close on 31 January 2014. When the opening date is confirmed, this will be widely publicised.

Am I eligible for the ballot?

To enter the ballot, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia, but you do not need to be living in Australia at the time of registration. 

You must also be a minimum of 18 years of age on, or before, 25 April 2015.

How many places are available?

The Australian, New Zealand and Turkish governments have agreed to allow 10,500 people attend the 25 April 2015 commemorations.

Of the 10,500 places available, it has been agreed that there will be 8,000 places for Australians, 2,000 places for New Zealanders and 500 places for official representatives of all countries involved in the Gallipoli campaign.

Who will run the ballot?

Australia and New Zealand will undertake a joint tender process to engage a contractor to develop the ballot system, conduct the ballot process, and subsequent management and distribution of attendance passes, including on-site pass verification and entry procedures.

Will any preference be given to special representatives?

There are 8,000 places for Australians in total. 

Widows of Australian First World War veterans do not need to participate in the ballot and will be included as part of Australia’s official representative group, with a carer, if they are fit to travel.

Five percent of Australian places will be available (outside of the ballot) for representative secondary school children and their chaperones.  These places will be allocated and managed by the states and territories.

Five percent of places in the ballot will be reserved for direct descendants of those who served in the Gallipoli campaign, with preference given to the first generation – the sons and daughters of Gallipoli veterans.

Five percent of places in the ballot will be reserved for veterans who have qualifying service or who have deployed on any operations outside Australia, whether they are warlike, non-warlike or peacetime operations.

The remaining places will be accessible to all Australians provided they meet eligibility criteria.

Who is a direct descendant?

The direct descendants of a veteran of the Gallipoli campaign are the person’s children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. Nephews/nieces or great-nephews/nieces, etc are not considered direct descendants for the purposes of the ballot.

Will I have to prove that I am a descendant?

At the time of registering for the ballot you will be required to state the full name and service number of your ancestor.  You may be requested to provide documentation such as birth, death or marriage certificates to prove your lineage.  Further details will be publicly advised later in the year, prior to the ballot opening.

What are the criteria to be considered a veteran?

An Australian who has qualifying service or who has deployed on any operations outside Australia, whether they are warlike, non-warlike or peacetime operations is considered a veteran for the purposes of the ballot.

Will I have to prove that I am a veteran?

At the time of registering for the ballot you will be required to state your service number and dates of qualifying service or deployment outside of Australia.  You may be requested to provide your service record as proof.  Further details will be publicly advised later in the year, prior to the ballot opening.

Are serving Australian Defence Force veterans eligible for the veteran category?

Yes.  Current serving Australian Defence Force personnel are eligible for the veteran category of the ballot as long as they meet the eligibility criteria above.

If I am both a direct descendant and a veteran, can I apply in both categories?

Yes.

Can descendants/veterans enter the general category?

Yes. If you are unsuccessful in the direct descendant or veteran categories of the ballot, or cannot provide documentation proving your claim (if requested), you will automatically be entered in the general ballot.

When will I be advised if I am successful in the ballot?

The ballot will be drawn in February 2014, and those successful in the ballot will be advised in March 2014. A waitlist will also be created, the passes for which will be drawn from those successful in the ballot but unable to attend.

If I am successful in the ballot what will I receive?

The ballot will provide you with an entitlement to up to two attendance passes.

I have an Australian passport but live in New Zealand. Am I eligible for the ballot?

All Australian citizens (regardless of where they are living) and holders of Australian permanent resident visas are eligible to participate in the Australian ballot.

I am an Australian citizen but my grandfather served in the New Zealand Forces at Gallipoli. Am I eligible to apply for a New Zealand place?

Only New Zealand citizens and New Zealand permanent residents can apply for New Zealand places. You will need to apply in the Australian ballot if you wish to attend the Gallipoli centenary commemoration.

Can I apply for only one attendance pass?

Attendance passes will normally be issued in pairs but you may apply for only a single pass if you wish.

I have already booked a tour to go to Gallipoli with a travel agency; do I still have to enter the ballot to attend the Anzac Day 2015 commemorations?

Yes. No allocations are available for commercial operators, only individuals. If you have booked a tour, you will need to apply for an attendance pass through the ballot. You should bear in mind that you may be unsuccessful in the ballot.     

Further information on pre-booked tours is available in the  http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/Pages/faq.aspx#other_info" rel="nofollow - Other Information  section.

How will the Australian and New Zealand governments ensure that those who are successful in the ballot actually attend the commemoration?

It is expected that individuals who apply for places in the ballot for the Anzac Day services at Gallipoli in 2015 will be motivated to attend the commemoration. The two Governments will maintain communication with those successful in the ballot to confirm they will be travelling. Individuals who do not provide their passport details and confirm their attendance by a specified date will have their entitlement to an attendance pass cancelled. The attendance pass will be then reissued to the next person on the waitlist.

What if I am unsuccessful in the ballot?

A waitlist will be implemented to redistribute any remaining or forfeited attendance passes from the ballot.

If you are unsuccessful in the ballot, you will not be permitted entry to the commemorative sites to attend the official Anzac Day commemorations at Gallipoli in 2015.

Anzac Day commemorations are held at other overseas locations including Villers-Bretonneux in France, Hellfire Pass in Thailand, Sandakan in Malaysia and Port Moresby and Isurava in Papua New Guinea.

You can also mark Anzac Day by participating in your local commemorative service or watch the broadcast of the Gallipoli commemorative services on ABC television.

What if I choose not to enter the ballot?

If you choose not to enter the ballot, you will not be permitted entry to the commemorative sites to attend the official Anzac Day commemorations at Gallipoli in 2015.

http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/Pages/faq.aspx#top" rel="nofollow - back to top

Attendance Passes

What is an attendance pass?

An attendance pass is the document required to gain entry to the official Anzac Day commemorative services at Gallipoli in 2015. 

What will an attendance pass give me?

An attendance pass will provide access to attend the Dawn Service at the Anzac Commemorative Site at Gallipoli, as well attendance at either the Australian Service at Lone Pine (for those successful in the Australian ballot) or the New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair (for those successful in the New Zealand ballot).

Do I have to pay for my attendance pass?

All attendance passes are free but individuals must arrange and meet all costs for their own travel.

What will I need to do if I am successful in ballot?

If you are successful in the ballot, you need to make your own travel arrangements to Gallipoli and pay for all costs including flights, accommodation, transport, travel insurance, etc.

At least six months before Anzac Day in 2015 you will be contacted to confirm your attendance and you will need to register both your passport details and those of the person who will be accompanying you. If this information is not provided by a specified date, your entitlement to both attendance passes will be cancelled. 

You will collect your attendance pass when you arrive in Turkey, at venues to be confirmed closer to the time. You will present your passport to collect your pass, and this must match your pre-registered details.

My partner is not an Australian citizen. If I am successful in the ballot can I take my partner with me?

There are no citizenship or residency restrictions for the second attendance pass holder. A person who is successful in the ballot can give the second attendance pass to whomever he or she chooses.

I plan to have my wife accompany me to the commemoration if I am successful in the ballot. If she cannot travel, can I transfer her attendance pass to our son?

Yes. Only the second (accompanying person) pass may be transferred to another person.  The passport details of both individuals must be registered by the specified date. 

What happens to my attendance pass if I am successful in the ballot but cannot travel for some reason? If I cannot travel, can my partner keep their attendance pass?

If the person who is successful in the ballot cannot travel, both attendance passes will normally need to be returned. Clear guidelines around the return of attendance passes will be provided at the time of the ballot registration. A waitlist will also be created to redistribute the passes.

How are you going to stop the scalping of attendance passes?

People successful in the ballot will be provided with a letter which, along with their passport will need to be provided to a ticket office in Turkey in order to receive the entry pass.  The pass would then be shown at the entrance to the Anzac Commemorative Site soon after you receive it.  The entry pass will probably include in-built security mechanisms that would make it difficult to replicate.  Details will be publicly advised later in the year, prior to the balloting opening.

http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/Pages/faq.aspx#top" rel="nofollow - back to top

Representative Groups

Will special representatives be chosen to attend the commemorations?

Yes.  Widows of Australian First World War veterans do not need to participate in the ballot and will be included as part of Australia’s official representative group, with a carer, if they are fit to travel.

Five percent of Australian places will be available (outside of the ballot) for representative secondary school children and their chaperones.  These places will be allocated and managed by the states and territories.

Five percent of places in the ballot will be reserved for direct descendants of those who served in the Gallipoli campaign, with preference given to the first generation – the sons and daughters of Gallipoli veterans.

Five percent of places in the ballot will be reserved for veterans who have qualifying service or who have deployed on any operations outside Australia, whether they are warlike, non-warlike or peacetime operations.

Why are there so many places for official representatives?

500 places have been allocated for official representatives of all countries involved in the Gallipoli campaign.  Around 40 contemporary countries (successors to the early empires) can claim participation in the Gallipoli campaign.

Official representatives are likely to be heads of state, heads of government and defence force chiefs, or their nominated representatives.

The governments of Australia and New Zealand are working closely with Turkey and other countries to strictly manage attendance of official representatives in 2015.

How will the Australian Defence Force be represented in 2015?

The Australian Defence Force will be represented by Australia’s Federation Guard which provides a catafalque party, a defence band will provide musical support to the services and a bugler.

The senior Australian Defence Force representative will most likely be the Chief of the Defence Force or his (or her) representative.

Special representative places available in the ballot for veterans may comprise current serving Australian Defence Force personnel.

Travel to Gallipoli

How do I arrange my travel and accommodation to Gallipoli?

You should contact your local travel agent to discuss your options. The majority of people make their travel arrangements through the range of travel companies that provide tours to Gallipoli.

Private arrangements can be made but individuals must organise for their own transport to and from the Peninsula. Private vehicles are not permitted in the commemorative area during the commemorations. Normally the Anzac Commemorative area is closed to the public from 23 April.

For further information on travel to Turkey please visit the  http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - Smartraveller website  (www.smartraveller.gov.au).

What if I want to travel to Gallipoli for the commemoration but do not want to overnight at the Anzac Commemorative Site?

The timing of the Dawn Service means spending some of the night at the Anzac Commemorative Site is unavoidable. You must arrive at the site before 3am on 25 April.  All access roads to the Peninsula are closed at 3am and no further entries to the site are permitted.

Anzac Day Commemorations at Gallipoli

What will happen on Anzac Day 2015 at Gallipoli?

Individuals will travel by bus to the Anzac Commemorative Site, which is accessible from two entrances, both of which are a reasonable walk from the Anzac Commemorative Site. They will overnight at the Anzac Commemorative Site. After the Dawn Service, individuals will need to walk 3.1km up the steep and unsealed Artillery Road to Lone Pine.

Those attending the Australian Service will stay at Lone Pine, while those attending the New Zealand service will continue a further 3.3km uphill along a bitumen road to Chunuk Bair.

After the services finish, those who attended the Australian Service will be picked up by their bus at Lone Pine while those who attended the New Zealand Service will be picked up at Chunuk Bair. All buses will then depart the Anzac commemorative area. Given the number of buses (approximately 300), you may need to wait several hours before your bus departs the Peninsula.

Will the commemorations be different in 2015 from other years?

No.  The format of the commemorative program will remain the same as in previous years.

What conditions can I expect at Gallipoli on Anzac Day?

Australians planning on attending these services need to be aware they are held in the Gallipoli Historical National Park, which has no permanent infrastructure or shelter. You will be exposed to the elements for between 12 and 24 hours (including overnight). You need to be prepared for and able to tolerate extremes of weather: it can get extremely cold overnight (below 0 degrees Celsius) but very hot and sunny during the day. Rain and very cold wind are possible at this time of year, as is unseasonal heat.

The distances you will need to walk mean you need a moderate level of fitness. You will probably walk up to 8km over the 24-25 April. You need to be confident you can walk up a steep hill and on uneven dirt tracks. You will also need to stand for long periods at times, including in queues for security screening.

Limited basic facilities like portable toilets, lighting and non-drinking water are brought in to the commemorative sites for the Anzac Day commemorations. Seating is extremely limited at all services and there is no allocated seating.

Are there facilities for people with disabilities at Gallipoli?

The commemorative sites are difficult to access for individuals who require special assistance. Assisted mobility passes are provided so that individuals requiring additional assistance are seated in the reserved stands, with easy access to reserved toilet facilities, and have seats on the assisted mobility shuttle buses. These shuttle buses move between the commemorative sites.

If I am successful in the ballot for the Dawn Service at Gallipoli, can I also go to both the Australian Service at Lone Pine and the New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair?

The attendance passes in the Australian ballot will be for the Dawn Service at the Anzac Commemorative Site and the Australian Service at Lone Pine.  The attendance passes in the New Zealand ballot will be for attendance at the Dawn Service at the Anzac Commemorative Site and the New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair.

There will be only sufficient seating at Lone Pine for the holders of the 8,000 Australian attendance passes. In addition, each year there is usually insufficient time for individuals to attend both services, which requires a walk between Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair, a distance of 3.3km uphill.

What happens if I want to visit a number of battlefield sites in the Anzac Commemorative area?

There will be no opportunity for visitors to visit battlefield sites in the Anzac area on 25 April other than North Beach/Anzac Cove, and those on the side of the road walking from Lone Pine to Chunuk Bair. Those who wish to undertake a more extensive tour of the battlefield are advised to either extend their visit beyond 25 April or visit at another time of the year.

What will happen if I arrive on the Gallipoli Peninsula on 24 April 2015 without an entitlement to an attendance pass?

Only people with attendance passes will be permitted to attend the official commemorative services at Gallipoli on Anzac Day in 2015. The Turkish authorities are responsible for the security and policing of the commemorative sites and they will only allow individuals with an attendance pass to enter the area. 

Should Australians avoid visiting Gallipoli on Anzac Day in 2015?

Attending the Anzac Day commemorations at Gallipoli in any year is a truly moving and unique experience for any Australian.  Visiting Gallipoli around Anzac Day in 2015 will be the most busy and difficult time to explore the area.

The Gallipoli campaign lasted eight months from April to December 1915.  Visiting Gallipoli at another time throughout the year would allow for easier access to the battlefields and cemeteries and provide opportunities for personal reflection.

Other information

Site Capacity

Why can’t the capacity of the site be expanded to allow more people to attend the commemorations in 2015?

The Anzac Commemorative Site is located in the Gallipoli Historical National Park, bounded by the sea on one side and steep terrain on the other.  It is subject to considerable heritage and conservation restrictions.

The Australian, Turkish and New Zealand governments have supported extensive efforts to preserve and protect this significant environment and ensure the safe carrying capacity of the commemorative sites is not exceeded thereby risking the safety and security of visitors.

The Government of Turkey has advised the Governments of Australia and New Zealand that the number of people who can attend the commemorative services at Gallipoli in 2015 is set at 10,500 people.

Why has Australia got 8,000 places while New Zealand only has 2,000 places?

The allocation ratio is based on the relative number of casualties suffered by Australia and New Zealand during the Gallipoli campaign in 1915.

Pre-Booked Tours

I booked a tour to go to Gallipoli with a travel agency several years ago, shouldn’t  I get preference in the ballot?

The Australian public expects that the allocation of available passes will be open and transparent and the ballot process will ensure that the distribution of passes is fair and equitable.

If you have booked a tour, you will need to apply for an attendance pass through the ballot. You should bear in mind that you may be unsuccessful in the ballot.     

Why have tour operators been selling tours to Gallipoli for the Anzac Day commemorations in 2015 if they cannot guarantee access to the services?

Since 2010, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs has been advising tour operators that they should not in good conscience advertise tours to Gallipoli in 2015 that guarantee access to the Dawn Service or other commemorative sites until final arrangements regarding attendance at the services was agreed by the Turkish, Australian and New Zealand governments. 

Most tour operators took this advice and acted accordingly by taking refundable deposits or registering the names of interested people.

If you have already booked on a tour to go to Gallipoli in 2015, which includes attending official Anzac Day services in the itinerary, you should speak to your travel agent or tour operator regarding arrangements if you are not successful in the ballot.  You may also wish to consider the terms of your booking under the  http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - Australian Consumer Law   http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - (www.consumerlaw.gov.au ).

I have booked on a cruise to go to Gallipoli for Anzac Day in 2015, do I need to enter the ballot?

Several companies have advertised cruises to Gallipoli for the commemorations in 2015.  Many of the ships will broadcast the services live on board for passengers to view. 

If you are booked on a cruise and wish to attend the services on land, you will need to enter the ballot for attendance passes.  If you are successful, you will need to make all arrangements through your tour operator to disembark your ship and attend the services.

Assistance to the Commemorations

I’ve heard that volunteers assist at the commemorations. How can I volunteer to help at Gallipoli in 2015?

Australia and New Zealand undertook a tender process to engage a volunteer organisation to assist with Anzac Day services in Gallipoli from 2013 until 2017.  The successful organisation was Conservation Volunteers which provide 30 volunteers to assist with the annual commemorative services at Gallipoli.  Conservation Volunteers advertise for applications each year.

How can my choir be involved in the Anzac Day services at Gallipoli?

Australia undertook a tender process to engage a choir to support the Anzac Day services at Gallipoli from 2012 until (and including) 2015.  The successful choir was the combined choir of students from St Joseph’s College and All Hallows’ College.

I can speak Turkish, can I volunteer to assist as an interpreter at the Anzac Day commemorations at Gallipoli in 2015?

Interpretive services for the annual Anzac Day commemorations are provided by students of the 18 March University in Canakkale.  This will continue in 2015.

Public Consultation

How did the Government make decisions on how the ballot should be run and who should be special representatives?

A public consultation occurred from 26 September to 30 November 2012. As part of the consultation a  http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/Pages/discussion_paper.aspx" rel="nofollow - discussion paper  was provided to inform Australians about the Anzac Day commemorations at Gallipoli, the reasons for the Government’s decision to hold a ballot and how people could be involved in shaping the ballot process.  An online survey allowed Australians to provide their views and 36 public forums were held in cities and towns across Australia.

The Australian Government wishes to thank Australians for their participation in the consultation process.

The Gallipoli Campaign

How do I found out more about the Gallipoli campaign?

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs has developed the  http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - Anzac Site  (www.anzacsite.gov.au), a major award-winning educational site containing text, documents, graphics, timelines, video and audio about Australians in the Gallipoli campaign of the First World War.

Anzac Centenary Commemorations

What else is being planned to commemorate the centenary the First World War?

The Government is supporting a program of projects and activities to mark the centenary of the First World War from 2014-2018. For further information, visit the  http://www.anzaccentenary.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - Anzac Centenary website  (www.anzaccentenary.gov.au).

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 16:33
These are the links for the 2015 ballot:

Australian ballot -:  http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - http://www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au/

Kiwi ballot           -: http://www.gallipoli2015.govt.nz/attendance-ballot" rel="nofollow - http://www.gallipoli2015.govt.nz/attendance-ballot

Best of luck to you all!

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 17:40
thanks Peter for the links.

Do we have any members applying?

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 01:51
Lets see, I have applied for all the extended family plus partners and if they win I am to be the person accompanying them. A lot like winning the pools though! One small advantage is that my wife is related to a Gallipoli veteran so that lowers the odds a little in my favour.

Peter

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 13:40
Good luck Peter.

We will have other Gallipoli Association representatives there on 25 April 2015, although no one know yet who will be at the Dawn Ceremony, Lone Pine or Chunuk Bair. Of course I am assuming there will be a Helles service that year. Let's wait the see.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 21:34
The following is from:

http://www.seniorau.com.au/index.php/more-seniorau-news/4666-next-steps-for-gallipoli-2015-ballot

Next steps for Gallipoli 2015 ballot

42,582 applications were received from Australians planning to attend the Dawn Service at Gallipoli in 2015, marking 100 years since the landing of Australian and New Zealand troops during the First World War.

The Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, said the government’s contracted ticket provider would now begin the process of confirming applications.

“Ticketek will review and remove any duplicate, incomplete or incorrect applications before the ballot is drawn. The ballot draw is automated and comprises of four cascades, providing some preference for direct descendants and veterans with qualifying or overseas service,” Senator Ronaldson said.

“Outside the ballot, there are places for Australian First World War widows who will be included as part of Australia’s official representative group and 400 places for secondary school children and their chaperones.”

Senator Ronaldson said all ballot applicants, successful and unsuccessful, will be notified of the outcome before Anzac Day 2014.

“Successful applicants are encouraged to make and pay for all travel arrangements as soon as they receive confirmation of their success in the ballot. This needs to include flights, accommodation, transport and travel insurance. Proof of travel such as an airline ticket or tour package must be provided to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs by 25 October 2014 in order to receive attendance passes,” Senator Ronaldson said.

“Those who are unsuccessful, and who elected to be on the waitlist, will be notified of any passes that may become available from those who can no longer attend, up until 31 March 2015.

“Alternatively, unsuccessful applicants are encouraged to visit Gallipoli at another time in 2015, attend another Anzac Day service overseas such as Villers-Bretonneux in France, or watch the broadcast of the Gallipoli and Villers-Bretonneux services live on the ABC on Anzac Day.”

Senator Ronaldson said a full program of activities would be rolled out over the Anzac Centenary period 2014-2018 to mark the 100th anniversary of Australia’s involvement in the First World War.

He encouraged communities across Australia to get involved by applying to their local federal Member of Parliament for funding under the Anzac Centenary Local Grants Program. There is funding of up to $125,000 per electorate which needs to be applied for before 30 May 2014.

For more information on Gallipoli 2015 visit www.gallipoli2015.dva.gov.au or the Anzac Centenary see www.anzaccentenary.gov.au

-------------------------------------

Ok, good people. The best part of this is that I have roughly a one in fourteen chance of getting a ticket with my application. I have teed up with seven other applicants so the odds go down to one in two chances. The bad news is that you have to be an Australian to accompany the ticket winner so even if I win by my lonesome then I could not take one of my GA friends of foreign extraction to be my travelling buddy. Still for those that are so minded Dual citizenship may be the go.

Just got a month to wait...............

-------------
ANZACPRIDE

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk