The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli Despatches/Op Orders/Personal Accounts and Diaries > Operation Orders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli Evacuation Operations Order

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli Evacuation Operations Order
    Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:02
I came across this little gem by accident.

Gallipoli Evacuation Operation Order

Tuesday, 12 January 2010 at 10.35 am | Posted by: Cathy Williams | Categories: Rare Books | Comments Comments (0)

One of the joys of the State Library collections is the experience of serendipity.

As part of the eRecords Project, I’ve been creating electronic records for the Library’s Rare Books collection.  I was examining an old scrapbook belonging to the Honorary Brigadier General, Charles Frederick Cox, to identify items to describe and explain the contents. Inside the scrapbook was a Gallipoli evacuation order dated 16th December, 1915. Only five copies of this plan existed and this was number 2.

The experience of seeing this iconic document gave me goose-bumps not only professionally but also personally. I had a great-uncle at Gallipoli and I immediately thought of my Uncle Thomas. I was looking at the document that saved his life, and the lives of thousands of Allies and Turkish soldiers. As we say, the rest is history and now very much part of our Australian culture.

Through the eRecords Project this historic document is now electronically available for you to see. Take the serendipity plunge and join us in our exploration of the Library’s fabulous collection, pay us a visit and discover things about yourself and country you never knew before.

http://blog.sl.nsw.gov.au/erecords/index.cfm/Rare-books 

The link to the actual document is here; (document in jpg)

Sample

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic