The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: introduction
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 22:07

Hi, my name is Allan.

Just a few words of introduction.I am 52 and live in Manchester.My main interest in joining the association is because my Grandfather was at Gallipoli with the 10th Manchester regiment.                             At this point I do not know anything of his service record other than he was there
and later served in France where he lost both legs close to the end of the war.Unfortunatly he died
before I was born so I only Know things my mother told me which to be honest is a bit sketchy.
Hopefully I can Learn more being part of the association. I know that somewhere in my family we have at least 1 photo of him in Egypt which i will share when i find it. Well thats it for now so I look
forward to learning more,       
                                          Allan Gibbs.

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 08:09
Hi Allan,

Welcome to the Forum. The following url links to a research group dealing with the history of the Manchester Regiment. You might find something of interest in it.

Mal
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 22:34

Hi Allan

Hello from me as well, my Grandfather was also at Gallipoli, but with the Australians, he died at Lone Pine, but no I am not Australian.  We think he may have gone to Australia to start a new life, which unforunately did not happen.

Carole aka Lone Pine
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

allangibbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 21:46
Hi Carole

Thanks for the warm wellcome.I am learning more everyday and am really glad I joined the association. I will post more as and when I find out more info which I hope will be of interest to everyone.

Allan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 21:25
Hi everyone
                   Quick update on research into my Grangdad.I have just joined the Manchester Forum and they have been very helpfull.Havnt found anymore about his service in Gallipoli but have found out he was at sometime transfered to the 1/9th Battalion.He received the Silver War Badge and was discharged 7/3/1917 which came as a surprise as I had always been told he was in till mid 1918.Hopeing to go to a talk at the Manchesters Museum in June so maybe I will find out more then.
                         Allan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 22:00
Hi everyone,
                   I have Managed to see Grandads details in the medal rolls and it has confirmed he was discharged 7/3/1919 and not 1917. I can say that is good news as it ties in with all we had been told growing up that he went straight through the war. I have posted a photo in the test area which seems to of worked. I have more photos but dont know how to send them all at once or which section to put them in. could someone advise. Allan.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:12
Hi Allan,

Many thanks for that fine photograph of your grandfather, he was an impressive looking young man.

Depending on the types of photos there are several areas in the photo gallery of the forum, (individuals, groups etc).

What I will do is open up a thread in the British Forces Individuals gallery of the forum for your grand father and you can take from there.

In relation to research I have done with regards to your grandfather, I have found several Rolls of Honour from the Manchester area in which "William Knights" are mentioned some of them are shown as "Served" and one of them could be your grandfather.

I will extract the information ober the next couple of weeks and send it to you electronically. The information may help our research.

Best regards,

Mal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 22:13
Hi Mal
         many thanks for info
                                        Allan
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 15:43
Just a quick thought have you tried Ancestry.co.uk. they list on there Service records for WW1, that is if it still exists, I believe that a lot of the records were destryoed in WW11 during boming raids.  I think you can pay as you go, so to speak, but might be worth seeing if their hold your Grandfathers record on there, I have found several of my relatives records during WW1 on there, just a passing thought.

Good luck with your search
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allangibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 21:46
Thanks Lone Pine for the info.I have been on Ancestry a while ago but got a bit lost with it all.
  I will try again as I am now getting more experience and finding how to do things better.
               Thanks again,  Allan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic