The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

New Member intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen.Tayler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member intro
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 19:45

uploads/122/Gallipoli_bullets_#_2.JPGuploads/122/squad2.jpguploads/122/Gallipoli_bullets_#_1.JPG

Howdy,

I am a recent new member and a couple of years ago when I acquired the skills to use a computer and discovered the Internet I become obsessively interested in the Battle of Gallipoli.

This is primarily because my Grandfather served there with the New Zealand Army in the Auckland Infantry Battalion 6th Hauraki from April 25th to Aug. 15th when he was (according to his army records) taken off with bronchitis. He spent the next year or so in various hospitals and the remainder of his enlistment time recuperating and training in England until being demobbed in 1919. He maintained that he was blown up and woke up on a hospital ship heading for Egypt which I think is likely because he was unable to sight a rifle after his physical recuperation period and therefore never put back into active service. Photos of him after the war always show his head cocked to one side as if trying to focus the scene in front of him.

When he died in 1969 my Grandmother gave my father his medals and a clip of bullets that he carried with him that were a memento of his Gallipoli experience. He immediately gave them to me and I had them mounted and they have been displayed on the wall ever since. The bullets are a souvenir of a charge which Grandfather described as towards a lower area with lighter coloured terrain.

The clip of bullets was in his tobacco pouch pocket and were pierced by a bullet. This he said spun him totally around. When he finally made cover his pocket was on fire and his tobacco and the spare clip both ruined. Needless to say if the bullet had gone through his trouser pocket and not his coat then I probably wouldn’t be writing this today.

He kept them as a good luck charm in his tobacco pouch for the rest of the war and on his bookshelf  for the rest of his life. I vividly remember them as a 5 & 6 yr. old before we immigrated to Canada.

The photos (for clarity) show the bullets out of their clip and the brown tobacco residue can still be seen. They all fit neatly into the clip.

My grandfather was living in New Zealand at the outbreak of the war and signed up in Rotorua on Oct. 20th 1914. He was assigned to the 6th Hauraki and left New Zealand with the 2nd Reinf. on Dec. 14th . His best friend Albert (Bert) Harp left with the 1st Reinf. The attached post card photo shows both of them so I am assuming it was taken in Egypt.

Grandfather is kneeling directly behind the flag and Bert is 5th from the left at the back. Bert was killed on June 5th and his name is on the Lone Pine Memorial. The only thing readable on the back of the post card which he sent his Mother is Squad 2.

I know it’s a long shot but if anybody out there recognizes anyone else in the photo I would love to hear from you. I have spent many hours trying to track them down and have strong suspicions on a couple but nothing definitive.

In my searches for info I have scoured countless websites looking for 6th Hauraki photos or group shots and while some of the officers and enlisted men’s obit photos can be found group shots of 6th Hauraki  in New Zealand or Gallipoli are thin on the ground. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Granddad was George Douglas Tayler  12/1515

His friend was John Albert Harp  12/1425

I am fortunate enough to be able to visit Gallipoli this year in early April along with my father, sister and my wife for a family battlefield tour. It will be the first time any of us has been there and I am looking forward to finally getting a real feel for the heights, distances and the terrain.

Stephen Tayler

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 10:21
Stephen,

Welcome to the forum, try the following url (not sure if you have it) to the Aleander Turnbull Library New Zealand, you might find something here as a word search for Gallipoli shows over six hundred photos for Gallipoli.

Please note when I tested this url after the link opened (for some reason) I had to click the search button on the site again to get the photos to load.

Regards,

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Mar 2011 at 10:24
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 10:26
Stephen use this icon in the post message toolbar to upload your pictures/photographs.

Insert Image 

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Mar 2011 at 10:26
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic