The Gallipoli Association Forum

8th Battalion AIF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8th Battalion AIF
    Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 13:50
The following extract from the AWM web site shows some information with regards to the 8th Battalion A.I.F. during the time period in question for your casualty.

The 8th Battalion was among the first infantry units raised for the AIF during the First World War. Like the 5th, 6th and 7th Battalions, it was recruited from Victoria and, together with these battalions, formed the 2nd Brigade.

The battalion was raised from rural Victoria by Lieutenant Colonel William Bolton within a fortnight of the declaration of war in August 1914 and embarked just two months later. After a brief stop in Albany, Western Australia, the battalion proceeded to Egypt, arriving on 2 December. It later took part in the ANZAC landing on 25 April 1915, as part of the second wave. Ten days after the landing, the 2nd Brigade was transferred from ANZAC to Cape Helles to help in the attack on the village of Krithia. The attack captured little ground but cost the brigade almost a third of its strength. The Victorian battalions returned to ANZAC to help defend the beachhead, and in August the 2nd Brigade fought at the battle of Lone Pine. The battalion served at ANZAC until the evacuation in December.

The Battalion War Diary for the period may be viewed here, hopefully you may get some more answers.

Best Regards

Mal
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 10:31
I have just noticed your request for information and a quick check would appear to agree with your assumption with regards to the 8th Bn and the Battle of Krithia.

Harvey Broadbent in his book "Gallipoli the fatal shore" (page 140), refering to the Battle of Krithia, states "The 6th and 7th Battalions advanced first to about fifty metres before they were forced to the ground. Soon sheaves of machine-gun fire and artillery started to exact a heavy toll. The shells and machine-gun torrents increased and men were scythed down. The Lancashires called out to them to come back but it was too late, the impetus had taken hold. Explosions of shrapnel and concentrated machine-gun fire began to disembowel and set many of them on fire, but still, as if they were somehow possessed, the survivors advanced. One by one, then in groups, they fell, but the line held and those still standing advanced. the 5th and 8th Battalions in reserve then came up, men falling, but the line advanced."

He gives the date for this action as 8th May, it does not appear to match with the dates that your soldier was wounded. Strangely it is the only reference to the 8th Battalion in his book. I will try some other reference books and research more information for you in this matter.

You might like to take a look a this web site it contains a lot of diary extracts in relation to the Gallipoli operations. This particular page refers to the 8th Bn A.I.F. from the period 19th April to 30th April 1915. There are also many other extracts available on this site.

Edited by Mal Murray - 16 Jul 2010 at 10:46
red kite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red kite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 20:25
Hi,
I'm researching Australian Casualties who are buried in Northamptonshire. One of them served in the 8th Battalion AIF at Gallipoli. His service records state that he was wounded at Anzac between 24th and 30th April 1915. However it then says that he was treated at 88th Field Ambulance, before being transfered to Egypt on 10th May. I thought that the 88th FA was only ever at W Beach at Helles? I wondered if anybody had any information about casualties being transfered between Anzac and Helles, which would explain this? Or as I'm begining to think, that he was actually wounded in the attack at Krithia in May.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic