The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Photograph Gallery > Maps of Gallipoli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Kurija Dere Map (10th Irish Div War Diaries)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kurija Dere Map (10th Irish Div War Diaries)
    Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 15:08
The following Map was extracted from the War Diaries of the 10th Irish Div held at the National Archives Kew. The scale is 1:20,000. (Note the English and French instructions on the side.

Note: This map is available in a higher resolution (The file is too big to upload to the Forum) any member that wishes a copy please contact me by by Private Message and I will arrange to send them a copy.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 18 Feb 2011 at 19:19
mrk1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 16:30
Mal
that is very interesting indeed. I dont suppose you have the other side of the map with the survey details or  a date ?  I have one of the same area BUT it is called KOJA Dere and is the very example I mentioned in an earlier post. I cant get the resolution high enough to read the text. I will see what i can do with it.
MrK

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 18:34
The following website shows the above map but allows the user to select a particular grid to view and then enlarges the view and allows it to be saved.

As for further information,

The Map

Full Title:
Gallipoli - Scale 1:20,000. Kurija Dere.
Reproduced at the Survey Department, Egypt, 1915. G.S.G.S. 4000.
View The Stamped Linen Backing
Publisher:
Survey Department, Egypt.
Date:
Size:
55.8cm x 78.7cm (22½" x 31")
Scale:
2" : 1000 Metres (1 Kilometre)
Extent:
Hetman Chair - Al Tutan Katcha Tekke - Damler - Aegean Sea
Description:

Folding map of Gallipoli, Kurija Dere or Koja Dere region. Folding coloured paper map mounted on linen. Reference to other maps printed on rear of linen.

This copy of the Kurija Dere map is extremely stained, and one must assume that these stains originate from the battlefield around Anzac Cove at Gallipoli. This map has been digitally repaired for clarity of display, but you can view the original stained condition of the map below.

Edited by Mal Murray - 20 Mar 2011 at 18:35
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic