The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Cemeteries and Memorials > Egypt Cemeteries/Memorials
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alexandria (Chatby) Jewish Cemetery No. 3.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Alexandria (Chatby) Jewish Cemetery No. 3.

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexandria (Chatby) Jewish Cemetery No. 3.
    Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 17:02
This information is taken from teh CWGC site, see URL below.
 
Cemetery: ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) JEWISH CEMETERY No.3
Country: Egypt
Locality: unspecified
Visiting Information: The cemetery is open Saturday to Thursday 07.00 to 14.30.
Location Information: Chatby is a district on the eastern side of the city of Alexandria, between the main dual carriageway to Aboukir, known as Al Horaya, and the sea. This cemetery is located within the main Alexandria cemetery complex, which is bordered by Al Horaya on the south and the electric tramway, which is parallel with Sharia Champollion on the North. Visitors can reach the entrance to the cemetery along the road Sharia Anubis, which lies centrally north/south through the cemetery area.
Historical Information: In March 1915, the base of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force was transferred to Alexandria from Mudros and the city became a camp and hospital centre for Commonwealth and French troops. The Gallipoli campaign of 1915 was followed by operations in Egypt and Palestine and the port was much used by hospital ships and troop transports bringing reinforcements and carrying the sick and wounded out of the theatres of war. During the Second World War, Alexandria was again an important hospital centre, taking casualties from campaigns in the Western Desert, Greece, Crete, the Aegean Islands and the Mediterranean. Rest camps and hostels were also established there together with a powerful anti-aircraft base. Alexandria was also the communications centre for the middle and near east and became the headquarters of the Military Police. This civil cemetery contains 20 First World War burials, 19 of them together in one plot, where there is also a memorial to men of the Zion Mule Corps. The cemetery also contains 2 burials of the Second World War.
No. of Identified Casualties: 22
 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.