The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Naval Operations Research > Support Ships that served at Gallipoli.
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Braemar Castle (Transport/Hospital Ship)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Braemar Castle (Transport/Hospital Ship)

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braemar Castle (Transport/Hospital Ship)
    Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 18:06

 

One of the last ships built for the Castle Line before its merger with the Union Line, Braemar Castle was a product of Barclay, Curle & Co., of Glasgow. Destined to spend most of her career in Government service, she was delivered in the summer of 1899 and placed on the line's intermediate service from Southampton to South Africa. When Union-Castle was created in March 1900, Braemar Castle remained on the merged line's intermediate service, although her British base was moved to London.

From 1909 on, when she became a peacetime troop transport, Braemar Castle was used almost exclusively for military purposes, except for one commercial voyage for Union-Castle in 1920. During World War I she served in a variety of roles: cross-channel troop transport for the British Expeditionary Force (1914); troop transport for the Gallipoli campaign (1915); and hospital ship (from 1915). In November 1916, while serving as a hospital ship, she struck a mine in the Aegean Sea, and was repaired at La Spezia (after being towed to Malta, where she waited unrepaired for three months).

In March 1918, Braemar Castle was sent to Murmansk, Russia, and spent nearly a year there as a base hospital for British and French troops engaged in the Allied Northern Campaign. She returned to Russia in 1921 and, carrying patients and non-Russian medical personnel, was the last non-Russian ship to leave Archangel. She was later used to transport troops to Turkey and Cyprus during and after the 1922 fighting between Turkey and Greece.

Braemar Castle made her final trooping voyage in September 1924 and was then sold for scrapping in Italy.

 


Edited by Mal Murray - 11 Nov 2010 at 18:16
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.