The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Photograph Gallery > Photographs of Identified Individuals or Groups. > A.I.F. Personnel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pte John Simpson Kirkpatrick, AAMC (KIA 19/5/15)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Pte John Simpson Kirkpatrick, AAMC (KIA 19/5/15)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pte John Simpson Kirkpatrick, AAMC (KIA 19/5/15)
    Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 13:11

The original picture I posted here would not display and the website where I located it went offline.

I found the website archived by the Internet Archive Project and therefore have regenerated this post.

The following information is shown alongside the painting.

"This water colour painting depicts Private John Simpson (Kirkpatrick) of the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance and his donkey, 'Murphy'.

"Simpson" is shown as a full-length figure, moving forwards along a cliff edge, supporting a wounded soldier seated on his donkey. 

Later research undertaken by the Australian War Memorial suggests that the water colour was copied by Moore-Jones from a photograph of a stretcher-bearer with the New Zealand Medical Corps, Lt. Richard Alexander Henderson.

(I believe that this is the photo to which this artile refers)

This work was reproduced by the British Historical Section (Military Branch) of the Committee of Imperial Defence, London, in July 1926. 

It was owned by the Commonwealth Government in London and then came back to Australia during the 1960s, where it became property of the Prime Minister's Department and from there entered the National Gallery of Australia's collections during the 1980s. The painting was presented to the Commonwealth Government through Sir John McEwan.

Edited by Mal Murray - 30 Jan 2012 at 19:14
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 18:59
http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/A02826
ID number
A02826
Photographer
Unknown
Object type
Black & white - Glass original half plate negative
Date made
c 1913
Credit line
Donated by Mrs Kirkpatrick.
Collection
Photograph
Description
Studio portrait of Private John Simpson Kirkpatrick, Ships Fireman, born at Tyne Dock, South Shields, Durham in England on 6 July 1892. He enlisted as 202 Private John Simpson in the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance on 25 August 1914 and was killed in action at Gallipoli on 19 May 1915. Kirkpatrick was famous for using a donkey to carry wounded soldiers, he was generally known as 'Scottie' or 'Murphy" and his donkey as 'Duffy'. Duffy was one of the favourites of the Indian mule drivers and was taken by them at the evacuation of Anzac.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 19:03
The following photo is purported to be the only "authentic" photo of Private Simpson and his donkey, it was taken at the foot of Shrapnel Gully.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic