The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Naval Operations Research > Battle Ships that served at Gallipoli
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HMS Chatham (1911)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

HMS Chatham (1911)

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HMS Chatham (1911)
    Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 19:22

HMS Chatham (1911)

 
 
HMS Chatham AllanGreen2.jpg
Career Royal Navy Ensign
Class and type: Town-class light cruiser
Name: HMS Chatham
Builder: Chatham Dockyard
Laid down: 3 January 1911
Launched: 9 November 1911
Commissioned: December 1912
Out of service: lent to Royal New Zealand Navy in 1920
Fate: Sold for scrapping 13 July 1926
General characteristics
Displacement: 5,400 tons
Length: 457 ft (139 m) Overall
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draught: 15.75 ft (4.80 m)
Propulsion: Parsons turbines
Four screws
Yarrow boilers
25,000 hp
Speed: 25.5 knots (47 km/h)
Range: carried 750 tons (1240 tons maximum) coal
260 tons fuel oil
Complement: 429-440
Armament:

8 × BL 6-inch (152.4 mm) Mk XI guns
1 × QF 3 inch AA gun
4 × QF 3 pdr guns
4 × machine guns

2 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes
Armour: 2 inch deck on slopes
3 inch side amidships
 

HMS Chatham was a Town-class light cruiser of the Royal Navy launched on 9 November 1911 from Chatham Dockyard. She was the lead ship of the Chatham subgroup.

She was initially assigned to the 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean, where she participated in the pursuit of the German ships Goeben and Breslau, but in 1914 was detached to operated in the Red Sea. In November that year Chatham (Captain Sidney R. Drury-Lowe) was involved in operations against the German commerce raider SMS Königsberg. In May 1915 she returned to the Mediterranean to operate in the Dardanelles to support the allied landings at Gallipoli. She oversaw the landings at Suvla Bay, where she was the flagship of Rear-Admiral John de Robeck who commanded the landing fleet. In 1916 she returned to home waters and joined the 3rd Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet. On 26 May 1916, Chatham struck a mine and had to be repaired.

After the war, Chatham was lent to the Royal New Zealand Navy from 1920 to 1924, and was sold for scrapping on 13 July 1926 to Ward, of Pembroke Dock.

In 1922, the crew of the Chatham donated a cup to the New Zealand Football Association. This became the Chatham Cup, New Zealand's local equivalent of the FA Cup, and its premier knockout football trophy.

References

Back to Top
Rob L. View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 147
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 18:50
Is anyone aware of photographs available of HMS Chatham during her time in the Dardanelles?
Back to Top
Rob L. View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 147
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 01:21

Original Tucks postcard of HMS Chatham which arrived in the post this morning
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.