The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 1/7 Bn Royal Scots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

DUFF, James Watson. KIA 12/07/1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARRISON7462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DUFF, James Watson. KIA 12/07/1915
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 21:56
DUFF, James Watson, Private 2656, 1/7 Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)

Born: Apr 1892.     Resided: Armadale, Linlithgowshire ( now West Lothian) Enlisted: 28/11/1914
Age: 22.     Date of Death: 12/07/1915. Cause: Killed in Action
Military Service: 227 days.
Family notes: Father, John (died in mining accident 07/04/1894, Mother:Janet, Sisters: Margaret, Rose-Anne. Brother: John.
Religion: RC    Trade/profession: Miner

Other Notes: M.I.C shows he entered 2(b) Balkans on 12/06/1915. James was in Company 'C'. His body was not recovered. It turns out that James was married - he had omitted this information on his Attestation Form. James left a wife and three children. Mrs Duff recieved the following letter from Chaplain John. W. Tweedie, 1/7 Royal Scots :
" Dear Mrs Duff, Though I am a stranger to you, I would like to send you a message of sympathy from the front. You will have heard by this time, I think, that your husband, Private J. Duff was killed in action on the 12th July, and it may be some little consolation to you to know that he did not suffer, but died immediately on being struck. He was buried on the battlefield. The Colonel and Officers of the Regiment send you their sincere sympathy and I trust in their sorrow all his friends will have the strength and comfort of God's presence and blessing."

James was a miner employed at the Bathville Colliery, and is listed on the United Collieries Limited, Roll of Employees On Acive Service 1914-1919

The link to his entry on the c.w.g.c website : http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/695447/DUFF,%20JAMES%20WATSON

Edited by HARRISON7462 - 31 Jan 2016 at 23:39
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic