The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > Australian Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Diary 6th August 1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diary 6th August 1915
    Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 13:13

9/8/15: Managed to find and return to the 4th Bn about 10am just in time for an attack on our centre, which is now being held by the 4th.  The Turks used bombs very freely, reported to Capt Lloyd and detailed to be his battle orderly, job to carry messages and attend Bn Hdqts for the supply of bombs which I managed to get up to the Coy in time as we were then running very short.  We held our own the attack being repulsed.  Our losses in this attack were not very heavy as only the bomb throwers occupied the trench.  The stench of the dead bodies now is simply awful, as they have been fully exposed to the sun for several days, many have swollen terribly and have burst, make our surroundings very unpleasant, many men ware their gas protectors which is in the form of a gag held over the mouth and nostrils, there has been no attempt up to the present to either remove or bury them, if they are stacked out of the way in any convenient place somewhere they up to the parapet so as not to block up the trench, there are more dead than living in parts of the line due to our heavy casualties we have been too busy to do anything in the matter as we have spent all our spare time digging etc for our safety.  Rum and tea is served our pretty freely which is practically all the nourishment we have received for the last three days.  I managed to get a little rice today from the 3rd Bn this is the first solid food since the 6th August.  About 3pm was bent to Brigade Hqtrs as dispatch courier to the 4th Btn and was temp attached to the Brigade Hqtrs.  The 4th Bn relieved from the trenches at 5pm, but the 7th Bn, the first relief since Friday, was given a good feed and a nights rest the first since Friday, the 6th hit by a spent bullet on the right causing no damage, very tired no sleep for 3 days everything very quiet now on the Lone Pine Front.

Again please do not re-post or copy, for information only, Thank you 

Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 13:13

8/8/15: Sunday Landed 15 weeks.  We were attacked heavily on the right at dawn, but drove them off with rifle fire and bombs killing many.  They attack us very hotly using very many bombs with good effect this causing us many casualties then they withdrew attacking again at 9 am with the same result, after chopping them up with a machine gun and rifle fire they again retired for about two hours during the interval we were bombarded with bombs very badly on the right and infiltrated by a 15 mm gun captured from the French, this and their heavy bombing caused us to lose half the trench with very heavy loos including several officers and Capt Scobie.  The shelling of the 75 mm gun was very accurate as it was [ ] straight up the trench being placed in a position on some high ground on our R overlooking the line each shell feel exactly on a post holding from 6 to 8 men each, these posts were picked off one by one, and given a direct hit, the shell intended for the post I was on just missed it directly hitting sideways on the left side, as I fortunately happened to be the first man on the right the shell passed tight behind me bursting and hitting all the other on the post, killing most of them and wounding the remainder.  I was the only man not touched, this is the hottest sector on our new front too expensive to hold, orders later to abandon this trench only a few survivors get out.  At about 11am we were attacked again very heavily they would no doubt have succeeded in gaining a good footing in our sector, as we have been very badly knocked about, were it not for the fact that our artillery picked up their range exactly bursting plenty of shrapnel amongst them we stood to arms all day expecting another attack but the rest of the day remained quiet with good sniping, night very quiet.  Turks must have had enough.

Again please do not re-post or copy. Thank you  

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 13:12

7/8/15: Heavy pressure and counter attack on our right so I was sent with a section to reinforce the R flank which was being held by the 2nd Bn.  The Turks advancing on us very thickly at dawn and put up a good fight using bombs very freely and effectively, we held our own and repulsed them, they left hundreds of dead before our trenches, we are in a very difficult position and running parallel to us and only separated by some corpse is a trench full of Turks who bomb us freely causing us very heavy losses, we are being constantly reinforced to make up the losses, the men being well spread out this is the hottest corner I have been in yet, fortunately not a scratch.  Got some very good sniping all day as they seem to be moving about rather freely.  Late in the day another determined bombing attack on the trench repulsed, hit by a large splinter bomb on the left hitting fortunately on my tunic pocket – in which I carry my tobacco box, box flattened, not hurt myself. When not standing too we occupy our time by making the trench more defensible and safe digging fire steps etc sand bagging the parapet and deepening the trench, often removing the dead to a sap we make preparations for an effective counter attack getting together a good supply of bombs.  We can hear the Turks shouting to each other, and make a noise all the evening as if they were about to make an attack, but they did not so do until dawn.  We stand to arms all night.

Again for info only please do not re-post or copy

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 14:47
Carole,

A bit of info on the Officers named A. E. Lloyd as named I believe was actually Edward Acton Lloyd. He survived the War.

The Captain Madley is a bit of a mystery as there is no such officer listed on the embarkation rolls for 4th Bn.

There is a Captain Massie and also a Captain Milson listed.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Norrette7182 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrette7182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:07
Hell on earth!
Norrette Moore
In memory of:
Pte Frederick J Dunn [3114] 5th Royal Irish Regiment.
Fell Gallipoli 16th August 1915
Web: http://10thirishdiv.wordpress.com
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 18:21
This is an eye witness account of the start of the Battle of Lone Pine. 

6/8/15: Had a good nights rest no stand too this morning best nights rest we have had for a very long time.  We are all paraded before the C O Colonel McNaughten at 10am who very briefly told us that we were to have a fight that afternoon, we are to get our packs ready and stored, base web equipment only is to be carried without haversack and bayonet [ ] entrenching tool to be fixed in the butt ready for use, each man to carry in addition two sand bags and to wear a large white patch on his back and while calico arm bands.  The CO explained that a company of the 4th Battalion was to lead the charge on the trenches known as “The Lone Pine Trenches” situated in front of the 2nd Battalion position , to the R of the 4th Battalion position.  The 4th Battalion and A company of the 4th Battalion are placed on the left flank of the attack with C company, supported by B & D company.  The 3rd Battalion are on our immediate right then come the 2nd Battalion with the 1st in reserve.  Our job is to attack at 5:30 the trenches in front, pass over the first lines and jump into the third and attack the Turks there, walking backwards, after first blocking up all communication trenches to prevent any reinforcements from being sent up, and so join up with the rest of the Brigade who will be walking forward bombing along the 1st and 2nd lines of trenches, so we hope to catch them in a trap, as we would be in front and behind them at the same time.  Today Capt Madlay(?) is promoted to Major and Lieutenant A E Lloyd to a Captain.  All the Battalion is excited at the prospects of a good stunt. Meanwhile the bombardment increases in intensity, we get three good meals today and everyone given a good tot of rum and all water bottles are filled with water which we must hang on to in case of emergency, after everything is complete we take up our positions at 4:30 pm this operation takes a considerable time as our movements are slow in winding our way up the communication trenches, eventually we arrive at our hopping off positions.  Half the company leave the trench by the underground saps now half way across “no mans land” this of course gives them a good lead on the rest of the company.  My platoon no 3 with no 4 leave the old front line and have to travel the whole distance across to their front line.  At 4:30 pm we are all in position finally and the bombardment is very considerably increased, the whole of the Turkish position in front of us is covered with bursting shells and smoke guns of all sizes are pouring in an intense concentration of fire for the last hour, the trenches seems to be very considerably knocked about.  The barrage lifts exactly ay 5:30, and over we go, as we are jumping over the parapet with a cheer the Turks pour in a terrible hail of rifle and machine gunfire, with plenty of shrapnel into us, knocking our men over in droves.  I got held up in our barbed wire and was held for a while fully exposed to the fire but fortunately was not hit, the ground was covered with our dead and wounded.  After tearing myself away from the wire leaving part of my clothes behind I managed to gain the second line of trenches, by running over the first which were covered with thick pine logs like sleepers and had half been hardly been touched] by the heavy bombardment thus leaving their garrison practically untouched.

The second line in attempting to jump over found the distance too much, with heavy rifle etc slipped on the rear paraodes and fell in, somehow landing on my feet amongst a lot of Turks and some of our boys were well mixed up, finally they were disposed of and we started to join up with the rest of the company.  the Turkish trenches were in an awful condition, the dead, due to our heavy bombardment lay very thickly, and the smell of the dead bodies was simply awful as they have a system of burying their dead in the walls etc of the trench, our heavy bombardment dislodged many of them that had been buried for some time and were in a very ripe condition which made matters worse.  The Turks put up a good fight, those that had any fight left in them and accounted for a lot of our men.  In the first line of trenches they were all dead with the exception of those that managed to get into the saps for protection from the heavy bombardment, all these were taken prisoner very few showing any fight they were in a dazed condition.  I lost touch with the Battalion during the general mix up so I joined up with the 2nd which was being very heavily attacked and wanted some reinforcements.  We had to make a barricade of bodies to keep the Turks off thus managing to hold on to what we had gained.   We were attacked nearly all night on our left so we are all kept pretty occupied.  At midnight was told  with several other and an office to hold a communication trench leading direct to the Turkish lines we blocked it up by partially pulling the side down and filling up with the each, dead bodies, any debris that we would find and a few sand bags, we are in a very bad position as we are situated between the fire of the Turkish trenches in front and our own directly behind us when our first observer was told to his post, he only mounted a few minutes before he was shot by one of our men behind who did not know that we occupied the trench in front, so we have to remain in this position until the morning, the night eventually became fairly quiet only the curses of the wounded who are lying out in front in droves can be heard constantly crying for water. 

UNQUOTE

I have put this here, please do not copy or reproduce in any way it is for information and discussion only. 

Thank You

Lone Pine 

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic