The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli in Art, Poetry, Song and Films/T.V. > Gallipoli Poetry/Poets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Paul Bewsher -Dardanelles poem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Bewsher -Dardanelles poem
    Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 20:18
Greetings,

I have been researching poet Paul Bewsher, probably most known for his poetry written during his service with the RNAS and for writing some of the first published poems about Great War in the Air. 

Found this poem by him - from the anthology 'The Dawn Patrol and other poems of an Aviator' 
Now available on line via Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/35996/pg35996.txt

Interested to hear from anyone who can identify the subject of the poem 'K.L.H. 

Regards
Michael Bully

----------------------------------

_K.L.H._

DIED OF WOUNDS RECEIVED AT THE DARDANELLES.

Where stern grey busts of gods and heroes old
  Frown down upon the corridors' chill stone,
  On which the sunbeam's amber pale is thrown
  From leaf-fringed windows, one of quiet mould
  Gazed long at those white chronicles which told
  Of honours that the stately School had known.
  He read the names: and wondered if his own
  Would ever grace the walls in letters bold.

He knew not that he for the School would gain
  A greater honour with a greater price--
  That, no long years of work, but bitter pain
  And his rich life, he was to sacrifice--
  Not in a University's grey peace,
  But on the hilly sun-baked Chersonese.

_H.M.S. "Manica,"
      Dardanelles, 1915._

The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 16:25
Wow, didn't know Bewsher was at Gallipoli - his book 'Green Balls' on his experiences as a Handley Page O/100 observer in the RNAS got me interested in the type, and have led to my (very slow!) writing of a book on the aircraft
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 14:22
I have done a quick search and have not as yet been able to find a "K L H" who died at Gallipoli.

I found a tantalizing clue which stated that the Poem had been published in December 1915 in a school magazine called the Pauline.

"Finally, a sonnet in the December 1915 edition of the Pauline specifically portrayed a fellow soldier’s death as an honor for the school. It described how as a schoolboy he had “read the names” displayed in the school “and wondered if his own/ Would ever grace the walls in letters bold” not knowing that “he for the School would gain/ A greater honour with a greater price -/ That, no long years of work, but bitter pain/ And his rich life, he was to sacrifice.”
Pauline, vol. XXXIII, no. 222 (December 1915):262.

I believe that this magazine is associated with St. Paul's School (Colet Court) in London.

Still on the trail.

Edited by Mal Murray - 14 Jul 2015 at 14:30
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 14:41
This may be a long shot, but the Roll of Honour for St Paul's School shows a Kenneth James Hinde A.I.F. Kenneth Hinde served as a 2nd Lt with 3rd Bn A.I.F and is shown depending on the records searched as killed in action or died of wounds at Gallipoli on 5 May 1915 aged 23. This might explain how I could not trace a K L H through soldiers died etc,

A booklet on the school in the Great War.

http://www.stpaulsschool.org.uk/resource.aspx?id=379758

"Kenneth Hinde died on 5th May 1915 on board H.M. Transport ’Gloucester Castle’, of wounds received in the head during fighting in Gallipoli.  He was buried at sea near Alexandria.  He is commemorated on his parents’ grave in Reading Cemetery.  Berkshire Family History Society classification 68C26 and on the Lone Pine Memorial, panel 19."

Is this our man, was the "L" a misprint? It's a close as I can get at the moment.

Edited by Mal Murray - 14 Jul 2015 at 14:56
BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 11:27
Bewsher, Paul 1918 - The Dawn Patrol & other poems of an Aviator. Erskine Macdonald.
- K.L.H. Died of Wounds Received at the Dardanelles. (probably Lieutenant Kenneth Aislabie Longuet-Higgins Royal Marine Light Infantry, Deal Battalion, Royal Naval Division dow 2.5.15. Commemorated Chatham Naval Memorial)
Bob
ROBERT PIKE
The Victor Heroes.Saffron Walden in the Great War

For Still We Hear Them Singing - Poems; ISBN-10: 1781489106 - ISBN-13: 978-1781489109

BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 08:24
Does anyone have a comment on my identity suggestion?
Bob
ROBERT PIKE

For Still We Hear Them Singing - Poems; ISBN-10: 1781489106 - ISBN-13: 978-1781489109

Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 18:07
Hi Bob,

It is a strong suggestion, could well be him.

Thanks, Krithia
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 14:00
Bob, Do you know if Lt Higgins attended St Paul's School? The poem mentions the school, so whilst Lt Hinde attended the school which makes him a "Probable" does Lt Higgins meet the same criteria?

Regards

Mal
BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 17:51
Yes, Longuet-Higgins was also an Old Pauline,
Bob
ROBERT PIKE

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic