Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli/Dardanelles Books > Book Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Under a Turkish Sky - Philip Lecane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under a Turkish Sky - Philip Lecane
    Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 14:27
This is a new book by Gallipoli Association member Philip Lecane. The book tells the story of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the landings at V Beach on 25 April 1915.

Philip is the author of a book on the sinking of the R.M.S. Leinster in the Irish sea (10/10/1918).

"It was the First World War’s largest seaborne invasion and the Irish were at the forefront. Recruited in Ireland, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were assigned to the spearhead of the Gallipoli invasion in Turkey. Deadlocked in trench warfare on the Western Front, the British High Command hoped the assault would knock Germany’s ally out of the war. Using letters and photographs, this book tells the story of the ‘Dubs’ officers and men as they set off on what was presented as a great adventure to win glory and capture Constantinople. Accompanied by the Royal Munster Fusiliers, packed aboard the SS River Clyde, the ‘Dubs’ landed from ships’ boats on the fiercely defended beach at Sedd-el-Bahr. The song ‘The Foggy Dew’ says, ‘It were better to die beneath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sedd-el-Bahr.’ This book tells the story of the forgotten Irishmen who died beneath a Turkish sky in what was Ireland’s D-Day."

http://www.thehistorypress.ie/Under-a-Turkish-Sky__p-666.aspx
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
momsirish View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momsirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 18:59
I just received my copy of Philip's book.  Have no time to read it completely this week , but I like the cover design and its cover script.  I've read Pat Hogarty's Rememberance and the Old Toughs and this book, I expect will equal that quality 
momsirish View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momsirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 17:05
The book is interesting and well written, an easy read.  I'd recommend it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic