The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Sub-Lieutenant Francis Henry James Startin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTSHORN7213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub-Lieutenant Francis Henry James Startin
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 20:50
Hi,

Does anyone have a photo of Sub-Lieutenant Francis Henry James Startin, Nelson Battalion, Royal Naval Division?

Is anyone able to confirm which Platoon(s) he was looking after during the fighting around Achi Baba Nullah, Gallipoli, on 13th July 1915?  He died of his wounds on 19th July.

I am trying to identify a photograph in my Great Grandfather's collection that includes an unidentified Sub-Lieutenant.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

John Hartshorn
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 08:01
I have had a quick look using my phone ( won't be near my PC today).

Check this link out for the moment.

http://www.hayling.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25170&page=7
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
HARTSHORN7213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTSHORN7213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 11:33
Hi Mal,

The clipping at the end of that thread is certainly tantalising, but too grainy to be sure whether it's the same officer in the photograph mysteriously in my Great Grandfather's collection...

According to family stories, my Great Grandfather, Thomas Hartshorn, AB, Sect 14, Platoon 4, A Company, Nelson Btn, RND, was "batman" to "an equally young officer" who died soon after the events of July 13th 1915 - i.e. the "over the top" action at Achi Baba Nullah.  

It would seem odd for a County Durham miner such as Thomas, an Able Seaman, to have had a photo of someone such as Sub-Lt Startin, but clearly he does have a photo of an officer.

The only other Nelson office to die thereafter was Sub-Lt Bernard Kenny on 19/12/15.

John

Edited by HARTSHORN7213 - 02 Mar 2015 at 11:35
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 19:20
I will see what I can find when I get to my PC.

What about this officer as a possible for consideration, Sub Lt Hubert Reginald Baldwin Nelson Bn. RND

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75195550/BALDWIN,%20HUBERT%20REGINALD
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic