Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > British Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Two Questions ~ 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John P Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Questions ~ 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 23:49
Hello Gents,

Still working on research for my novel and I've hit two dead ends that I hope you Gentlemen can help me with.

1) The 7th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers landed at Suvla Bay on August 7th, 1915. Before leaving the camp at Basingstoke, they were issued khaki drill and Wolseley Pattern cork sun-helmets. This is not surprising based on the time of year.

On the other hand, the 1st Battalion landed on V Beach on April 25th, obviously much earlier in the season in terms of the Mediterranean weather, which brings me to my first question.

I would assume that the 1st Battalion was wearing the woolen 1902 Pattern Service Dress uniforms with the other ranks P1902 Service Cap. Can anyone please confirm this assumption? Thank you!

2) My second question is in regards to the landing of the 1st Battalion DUBs on V Beach on the 25th. According to several accounts, one of the 1st DUBs companies landed in the SS River Clyde while the rest of the Battalion landed in boats. Can anyone please confirm which company or companies landed in the SS River Clyde?

Thank you one and all for your help with my questions. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

John
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 08:33
Hi John,

1. I believe 1 Bn RDF handed their tropical kit in when they arrived in the UK. There are some great photos of them and the Munsters in the UK wearing the Wolsely helmets.

2. W Coy 1 RDF were located in No 1 hold (Lower Deck) on the River Clyde, along with W Coy RMF.

Hope this helps
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
John P Sheehan View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John P Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 16:42
Hello Mal,

Thank you very much for your help with this. The info you have so kindly provided is exactly what I was looking for. There are similar photos of the 7th taken at Basingstoke in their khaki drill and Wolesly helmets as well.

I have a variety of sources as references for my novel , particularly for the landing of the 7th Battalion at Suvla Bay, in particular.....

"The pals at Suvla Bay: being the record of "D" company of the 7th Royal Dublin fusiliers"

by Henry Hanna

....which is available in paperback through Amazon. The book was written and published during the war and reads like a diary. I have not been able to find a similar source for the 1st Battalion, hence the questions regarding the uniforms they were wearing when they boarded the HMTS Alaunia in Avonmouth as well as when they landed at V Beach.

One last question based on your info regarding W Coy 1 RDF being on the lower deck, do you know whether or not they exited the SS River Clyde during the initial landing, or were they among the troops that noting the slaughter, opted to wait until nightfall to leave the ship?

Thanks again for your help!

Warmest regards,

John
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 17:47
Hi John,

I will get back to you over the weekend with as much info as I can pull together for you.

Regards

Mal
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John P Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 16:48
Thank you Mal!

Your input has been extremely helpful and is greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

John
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John P Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 18:16
OOPS!

Would you believe one more "one last question" PLEASE! Sorry about this Mal.

You are a wealth of information and I'll add you to my acknowledgment list in the book.

Do you happen to know whether Lt-Colonel R.A. Rooth, the 1st Battalion commander who was killed on V Beach that day, landed in one of the boats or on the SS River Clyde?

I'm assuming that he landed in one of the boats since the majority of his command landed in boats, but would like to be certain if possible.

Thanks again for your help!

Warmest regards,

John

PS - Some of you Gents might be interested in the photos and info on my WWI Collectors Forum. You have to join to view the photos, however joining is free.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?24-John-P-Sheehan-s-World-War-I-Militaria-And-Arms
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 18:17
John apologies for the delayed response.

Lt. Col. Rooth was indeed in the boats. It was reported that "He was killed at the water's edge".
momsirish View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momsirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 22:44
Hello Mr. Sheehan, I hope this information is not too late and if so, that you have already found it.  If you have available a copy of Neill's Blue Caps pages 32 and 33 give an account of the exiting of the ship by "W" company.
 good luck
Momsirish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic