The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 1/9th Bn Manchester Regiment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

1st 9th Manchester's ROH completed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st 9th Manchester's ROH completed
    Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 20:45
Mike,

Three years of hard work which will be a memorial to each and every soldier listed.

On behalf of the Gallipoli Association and our members, thank you for all your dedication and hardwork with regards to the roll of honour.

I will now have to get down to finishing the index.
Happy New Year

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
CRANE6260 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRANE6260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 20:27

This is to announce my completion of the 1st 9th Manchester’s Role of Honour with entries made for all the 209 Battalion members who fell during or as a consequence of the campaign.

It has taken over 3 years to complete [I started in November 2011], has involved 3 trips to the peninsular and many hours of research and in doing so I have gained many insights into the spirit and character of these “ordinary” hero’s and also the ones like my Grandfather who were lucky enough to survive the campaign.

I will forever be in admiration and respect for the way they dealt with truly horrific experiences and privations with humour, stoicism and a determination not to let down their comrades or their home town, Ashton under Lyne.

If you check the entries you will see I have tried to add as much biographical information as possible and much of it came from Linda Corbett’s wonderful website http://ashtonpals.webs.com/  for anyone who wants to research the 1st 9th Manchester’s further I can really recommend a visit.  

I can’t thank Linda enough for her hard work in creating what is a fantastic resource and also Mal and Stephen for their help and encouragement.  

It has been an honour and a privilege.   

Mike Crane

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic