The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1st/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Pals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

1st/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Pals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAW7157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Pals
    Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 19:05
Hi fellow members, I'm new to the Association, and trying to find out about my Great-uncle, Pte 1922 Edward Kelly. He was in 'H' Company, 1st/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, Ashton Pals, and landed at 'V' Beach on 8 May from the Ausonia. He was KIA at Achi Baba on 12 August. Does anyone know what the regiment did between these two dates please? I know his body lay unburied till 1919, and he rests at Redoubt Cemetery, which a cousin and I had the honour to visit in September this year. I'd be very grateful for any knowledge anyone might have, thank you in advance, Kevin Shaw
SHAW7157 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAW7157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 19:46
Oops. sorry, he died on 12 July not 12 August, in the attack known as Achi Baba Nallah.
Kevin

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 19:46
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum.

Edward is entered in the Association Roll of Honour here.

http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2331&title=pte-1922-edward-kelly

I will post more tomorrow.

Regards
Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 03 Dec 2014 at 19:53
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
CRANE6260 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRANE6260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 23:16
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the Association.
I have a copy of the 1st 9th battalion war diary and if you send me your email I will forward scans to you from the landing to the day your Great Uncle died.
My Great Uncle Pte.1210 John A. Crane was also a 1st 9th soldier [as was my Grandfather Pte. William Crane]Jack was KIA 7.6.15 close to the "Vineyard" and near to his final resting place in the Redoubt.
Like you I have visited the Redoubt [for the last 3 years] and have also managed to locate many of the places the battalion lived and fought in - if you are interested I could pass on what I know
I have almost completed the battalion ROH - just 2 more of the fallen to add and in doing so have amassed quite a bit of data on the battalions time on the peninsular and it's casualties - for instance on the day your great Uncle died the battalion was in the firing line [probably close to the Redoubt cemetery] and there were 4 other battalion fatalities on the same day - which seem to be unconnected - probably just the daily attrition of the front line!
Hope that helps - let me know if you need any more info.
Regards,
Mike crane
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic