The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli 2015 School Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoftyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli 2015 School Project
    Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 05:21
I am a teacher in an Australian government school. Next year, as part of the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign, I am trying to organise a project whereby students in a number of countries (England, Australia, Turkey, New Zealand, Canada, France and Nepal) research students who went to their school and participated in the campaign. We are a small school of approximately 300 students from Foundation to Year 12 and had 12 ex-students who participated, including two that were killed. 

The aim of the project is to create a book that includes the personal stories of the veterans, obtained through research and written by the students. I hope that it will enable our younger generation to create a personal link with Gallipoli.

I was wondering if any of the Associations members are aware of primary, or elementary, schools who would like to participate in this global project?
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 18:13
G'day Lofty,

I would suggest that you email our membership secretary, Keith Edmonds at:

membershipsecretary@gallipoli-association.org.

His wonderful wife Lyn would know who to contact in regards to the schools that are part of the Gallipoli Centenary Education Project. This would at least help with the British side of things. You don't state where you are but in Victoria, I would give Girton Grammar in Bendigo a try. They have very dedicated history teachers and as you would know Gallipoli is generally a part of the history syllabus in year nine for Victorian students so I am sure they would participate.

Sorry about the tardiness of my reply,

Cheers cobber,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 09:07
Hi Welcome to the Association and forum.

I know some schools in Ireland that involved in commemorating the Irish involvement. I will contact them over tge next couple of days and see are they willing to join up with your project.

The Irish involvement with the Anzacs will also be a draw.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Gully Ravine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:40
Lofty

I believe something similar has been posted on the Great War Forum and that our National Coordinator for our Gallipoli Centenary Education Project (Robin Clutterbuck) has posted a reply regarding this.

However, Peter is correct, my (wonderful) wife Lyn is working with Robin as the Executive Officer of our Gallipoli 100 Centenary Committee and can be contacted via contactus@gallipoli100.co.uk

The project is wide-ranging in its educational objectives and is not just UK-focussed. Hence, any links to schools in other countries can be routed via Lyn or Robin. As an example, we are already in contact with schools overseas, including Eire and Australia and would be very happy to build on these contacts.

We are currently working very closely with a school in Turkey and will be taking 8 children from the UK on our pilot battlefield visit to Gallipoli next week, when the children from both schools will meet and will be working together.

Our plans are that the project delivers an enduring legacy and that relationships forged between people from all combatant countries will serve to ensure that the Gallipoli Campaign is remembered, particularly by today’s younger generation.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Gully Ravine - 02 Nov 2014 at 11:42
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 18:07
Well answered Keith.

A great project.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic