The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Welcome to the forum!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

New Insight to a Old Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote out since mons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Insight to a Old Campaign
    Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 21:38
Hello every one,
 I am very new to writing on a forum so please excuse me if have not followed the right  protocols but hear goes. My mate singed me up to the Gallipoli association for my half century. We both have a great interest in the Great War but limited to the western front so when he gave me this great gift I said what do i know of this campaign then i remembered my uncle telling me years a go i had a great cousin who served with The First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF) so i dug out my dads old photo album and there he was his name was Frederick Harold Barton private 2263 6th rein 4th battalion his draft left sydney  16th June 1915 this was written on the back of the his photo i know this is a bit long winded but does anyone know if this draft went to Gallipoli .
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 06:30
Welcome aboard,

Use the following link to access your great cousins service records.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=3054737

The following is the link to his embarkation record.

http://www.awm.gov.au/people/rolls/R1801445/

He seems to have been there from the 4th of August just in time for the August offensives and more than likely he participated in the attack on Lone Pine (in unit diaries of the time usually called Lonesome Pine) which saw some of the heaviest fighting of the campaign. He very quickly came down with dysentery and was evacuated on the 28th of August.

For a brilliant description of that part of the campaign read Stephen Chambers new book 'Sari Bair' and there is also a long account of the battle in the Official Australian History (you can use these links to view and download the two pertinent chapters online)

http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1069526--1-.PDF

http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1069527--1-.PDF

Hope this all helps,

Regards,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
out since mons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote out since mons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 17:03
Thank you peter 
With the links and the background you have posted I can see me whiling away long winter evenings and as with the Weston front my granddads brother is on the Menin gate .
To have family member who served with the 1st AIF i will follow Fred's war Handshake
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 15:10
Hi
My Grandad was also in the 4th Battalion AIF, he was 2nd reinforcements to the 4th Battalion and did the landing at ANZAC, but was KIA Lone Pine,6 - 8th August 1915 when my Dad was about 1 1/2 years old and yes I do live in the UK and so did he. Why he joined the Australians is still a bit of mystery, perhaps him and Nanny had problems I don't know, and I don't think now we will ever know now. Great to see you on board

Edited by Lone Pine - 18 Nov 2014 at 15:12
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic