The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Gallipoli in the News/Media
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Families call for reburial of Anzacs in unmarked m
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Families call for reburial of Anzacs in unmarked m

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Families call for reburial of Anzacs in unmarked m
    Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 09:44

Thousands of Australian soldiers lie in unmarked mass graves on the Gallipoli peninsula and families of fallen soldiers are renewing their campaign to have their relatives exhumed and reburied.

Tomorrow Australians both at home and around the world will commemorate the 99th anniversary of the landings at Gallipoli.

But almost a century on, thousands of Australian soldiers on the famous peninsula remain in unmarked mass graves, unidentified and deprived of a proper burial.

Now the families of fallen soldiers are renewing a campaign to have their relatives exhumed and reburied.

It's an expensive and painstaking task, but after similar operations on the Western Front, some are asking: why isn't the same being done in Turkey?

Middle East correspondent Hayden Cooper reports from Gallipoli.

HAYDEN COOPER, REPORTER: This year, like any other, the lure of Gallipoli is strong for thousands of Australians.

ANNE CHEETHAM: My grandfather was in World War I. He was one of the original ANZACs and our family's always been involved in military history. My father was in World War II. And it's just something I've always wanted to do, so I decided the year I turned 60 that we'd come to Gallipoli and that's this year.

HAYDEN COOPER: For one group of students from Brisbane, last-minute rehearsals are combined with a tour of the Gallipoli Peninsula. They'll sing at tomorrow's Dawn Service.

JOSEPH CABONZE, ST JOSEPH'S COLLEGE, GREGORY TERRACE: It's overwhelming. You know, you hear about it at home, but you never truly, really feel anything until you come here and experience it for yourself.

SOPHIE ABOUD, ALL HALLOW'S SCHOOL: We have been learning about it in school, but, yeah, it has been interesting; lots of us in the choir actually do have great grandparents that were in the War. I have a great grandfather, I think, or - who was here.

The above information is an extract of the transcript of the narration for an online newsfeed on this subject; the full transcript and the video may be viewed here;

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s3991797.htm

Edited by Mal Murray - 11 Jul 2014 at 09:44
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 11:29
I actually put this question to someone high up in the Australian Military here in London and the response I got it would be too expensive to do, shame would like to find my Grandad and have a proper grave for him.
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic