The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

New member - 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKINS7054 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers
    Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 16:05
Just wanted to introduce myself and say how glad I am to be a member of the Association.

My name is Pat Atkins, and I'm particularly interested in anything to do with the first weeks of the Gallipoli campaign regarding 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers - my father's uncle was a pre-war regular with the battalion and was killed at on 26 May 1915. I'd be extremely grateful for any light at all which is shed on his story, and the story of his battalion over this period of time.

My father only recently discovered that he'd had uncles - his father John was a pre-and-post-War Regular taken POW at Le Cateau, and never spoke of his family. There were three other boys: Herbert and his younger brother William (KIA on the same day but at Givenchy with 23rd Londons), and the youngest Percy, who was in France & Flanders shortly after his 17th birthday but survived the war. Herbert was:

14413 Pte Herbert Ernest King (sometimes Charles) ATKINS, 2 RF

Born Blackfriars (registered Southwark), London, 1892

Enlisted RF in 1911? His number dates him to pe-1913, he's missing from 1911 Census, and the Battalion was in India at the time.

Killed 26 May 1915, possibly sniped while walking along the top of a flooded trench (this would fit with family traits of unusual accidents and a certain lax stupidity!): see Creighton's mention as 29 Div padre of burying a "a poor RF". Herbert has no known grave, but is commemorated along with many of his comrades on the Helles memorial.

I already owe a great deal to the kindness and generosity of (among others) many Great War Forum members, plus Chris Baker's wonderful "Long Long Trail" and Paul Nixon's astoundingly-detailed "Army Service Numbers 1888-1918" websites.

Oh, and sorry about the chapter-and-verse! Better to put it all in here at first though, I thought.

Cheers, Pat
14413 Pte Herbert Atkins, 2 RF, KIA 26 May 1915
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 21:14
Pat,

Welcome to the association.

Thanks for posting thisinformation.

I will have a look at my records and see have I got any info that may be of use to you.

I will also with your permission post him on the Association Roll of Honour on the forum.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
ATKINS7054 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKINS7054 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 08:30
That's great, thanks very much Mal.

Pat
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:49
Pat,

Here is what I have.

The War Diary for the period of Herbert's death is missing.

His Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 25/4/1915.

His Regimental Number L/14413 would indicate that he enlisted in January 1911.

I say this because of the following information;

L/14419 Frederick William Arnold enlisted 19/1/1911
L/14420 Fredick Bavin enlisted on 23/1/1911

Both of the above are shown on the 1911 Census as Privates with the 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers at Corunna Barracks, Stanhope Lines, Aldershot. I cannot track Herbert  on the Census at the moment.

Using the information from his Medal Index Card you can get the exact date of his enlistment.

The CWGC do not give his Next of Kin, can you confirm that his parents were Charles and Ada Atkins? For  his Roll of Hnour entry.

I will see what else I can find.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKINS7054 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 16:20
Thanks you, Mal - that's very interesting about his enlistment, will try his MIC too if I get the chance. Any further info would be very gratefully received, of course.

Yes, I can confirm that his parents were Charles Atkins (City of London detective constable) and Ada Susannah Atkins. They lived at Fenwick Place, Stockwell, London; Ada died in 1904 when Herbert was 9 or 10 years old - Charles Atkins is his named next of kin on the will written in April 1915 prior to entry to theatre.

Pat
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 18:00
Pat

I can send you his MIC if you have not got it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKINS7054 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:20
I'd be very grateful, many thanks Mal. Will PM my email address.

Cheers,
Pat
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:37

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKINS7054 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 09:30
That looks very interesting, Rob - I'll invest. I came across a diagram I think might've been taken from it a while ago showing the fire support Implacable provided in the approach to X Beach.

Many thanks, it all helps!

Pat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic