The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveLowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 20:14
Hi All

I am researching my family history and I know my Grandad was in active service in WW1

I remember his stories he told me when i was a youngster,  and my research on sites like this make me realise there was more to his stories than he actually let on.

He was in the 1st Essex Regiment  Harry Bradley 20030  and fought in Galipoli in 1915  - I remember seeing his medals but I think he gave them to my cousin.

He was then in France and I believe was in action on 1st July 1916 on the Somme,  and I believe he was captured as a POW on 14 April 1917 at the battle of the Scarpe

He was then a POW to the end of the war. 

When he was released after the end of the war he received a letter from the King - This was framed and proudly hung on his living room wall.  My brother has this now.  

His name is engraved on the Cenotaph at Crofton - West Yorkshire  along with his 3 Brothers - John, Charles and Arthur   Sadly  John was Killed in Action

Heres hoping that someone could possibly fill in the gaps for me

Lance Corporal Harry Bradley 20030 1st Essex Regiment

Many Thanks - Steve
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 09:25
Welcome to the Forum Steve.

Your Grandfather's Medal Index Card shows the following information;

He entered the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 19/9/1915.

He was entitled to the 1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

His card also shows "Section B 20/3/1919". this refers to the Section B Reserve.

Using his Regimental Number and comparing it with other, it would appear that he enlisted on 23/1/1915.

I would suggest that you download the War Diaries from the National Archives in Kew, it cost about £3.50, these can be invaluable in assisting research.

You can also apply for his medal rolls from the National Archives, which may give some more information.

You might consider compiling a profile of your grandfather and entering him on the Gallipoli Association Roll of Honour of those who served during the Campaign.

Best regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic