The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > British Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

8TH BATTN WEST RIDING REGIMENT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PICKLES7036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8TH BATTN WEST RIDING REGIMENT
    Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 18:13
Hi, I am a new member and a writer of WW1 fiction per a well known e-book publisher. My 2nd novel is set on Gallipoli and some of the characters are in 8th (Service) Battn The West Riding Regiment (Duke of Wellington's). I am having difficulty finding detailed information as to this unit's actions after landing at Suvla with the 11th (Northern) Division on 6th Aug 1915. I've got info prior to landing but then it all seems to go quiet (plenty about the Manchesters etc). Can members point me in right direction as to first hand sources or subsequent histories on this unit? Done 'Wiki' etc. Have written to the Regt Museum but no reply.
Thank you
Bob
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 11:18
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Association and Forum.

You can download the War Diaries from the National Archives for about £3.50. The beauty of this system is that you download the Divisional War Diaries which allows you to compare the war diaries of falnking battalions/regiments to get a fuller picture.

I will have a look and see what I can find when I get home.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 13:01
Hi Bob,
You may also want to check the Brigade War Diary and the 8th D of W sister battalions as they can quite often reveal more useful material than the one battalion war diary may contain.
Good luck with your research and book. I hope the museum replies with some useful information.
Stephen            
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic