Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > Battles/Actions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

W Hills 21st August 1915, "Dead Mans House"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3385LF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W Hills 21st August 1915, "Dead Mans House"
    Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 19:51
Hello,
I hope I am posting this in the right place, and apologies if not !

I am wondering whether anyone reading this may have any information about a detail of the attack on 21/8/15.  The 9th Lancashire Fusiliers attacked on the extreme right of 11th Division (and the entire Suvla front) and the official History (Maj-Gen J C Latter) records that the battalion took its objective Turkish trench by 3.10 pm, but was left with only 100 men and no officers or warrant officers. The units to either side had fallen back. The remaining soldiers held the trench through the night for 19 hours, but on the following morning as no support had arrived, they were obliged to fall back. Harvey Broadbent (Gallipoli- The Fatal Shore) mentions that the place was called Dead Mans House.

My grandfather in this Battalion was lightly wounded on 21st August and was at CCS Mudros for 10 days; hence I would like to know anything further about these events.

I have of course enquired at the Fusiliers Museum at Bury:- unfortunately it would seem that whilst Major General Latters source notes were recorded as being in their possession, these cannot be located following the move to the new premises. Thus I am wondering whether anyone can point me in the direction of any other accounts of this action. ?

Many thanks
Andrew
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 11:24
Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.

If I remember correctly there is no war diary for the 9th Bn for the period 21 August to late September 1915.

You could try reading other War Diaries for units such as 8th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers to see do they make reference to the action. Perhaps even the Bde HQ diary will also help. It is interesting to note that both 9th Lancs and the 8th Bn Northumberlands formed a composite Bn due to losses in August.

If I track any info I will let you know.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
ianphilliskirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 12:59
Hello Andrew, I have walked all over the top of W Hills. It is a beautiful place now. Very peaceful. The Turkish trenches are still visible there, the ones that face Hetman Chair. On the sides (both sides) of the W Hills due to rock, it's difficult to see 'trenches'. The view from there is stunning. And one can see the utter futility of any attack from Hetman Chair towards it and also towards  Scimitar Hill or from Chocolate and Green Hills, and, in daylight, despite the  fog that day,  would have been slaughter. 
21 August was the last "great battle" to take Scimitar Hill. I personally see nothing 'great' about it. Having been up there and seen what view the Turks would have had of the oncoming British infantry. 
Ian 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic