The Gallipoli Association Forum

Newbie - CPRC and RNAS Armoured Cars Interests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
momsirish View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momsirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie - CPRC and RNAS Armoured Cars Interests
    Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 02:01
Hello Ceylon-Medals: I just reread my last post to your request (post dated 10 Dec. 2013) and noticed my typing error.  I wanted to know if you knew of other CPRC men who went to the 1Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers, which companies they were assigned to? 
Thanks  
momsirish
momsirish View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momsirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 22:19

Hello Celyon Medals: I too welcome you to the forum, I'm not a constant visitor to the forum, just now and then. My interest is primarily in the 1Bn RDF, as an uncle was in the landing on "V" Beach, I think as a Pvt., and later died of wounds in Belgium as CSM of "W" company 1Bn RDF. Would you tell us what other CPRC men were commissioned into the1Bn RDF and do you what companies they were assigned to?

Welcome and Thanks

momsirish

Ceylon-Medals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceylon-Medals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 22:14
Thanks for the kind welcome, Mal.

Originally posted by Mal Murray Mal Murray wrote:

.... I know that some of the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps received commissions into the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and served with the 1st Bn at Gallipoli.

Indeed.  In fact I have closely studied the lives of several of them.. perhaps most interestingly, Lt-Col William Francis Hannin, CBE, MC, VD, who started the War as a Sergeant in the CPRC, landed with the ANZACs on 25 April; shortly afterwards was commissioned into the 1st RDF; transferred to the 6th in July, landing with them at Suvla Bay on 7 Aug, during which he was wounded and invalided out.  After a year's recuperation he re-joined the battalion for the Palestine Campaign, then on to France for the last 100 days.  Finished his career in 1936 as the Commanding Officer of the CPRC.

Collector and researcher of all things connected with the Ceylon Planters Rifles Corps and the RNAS (Armoured Car Division).
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:57
Glen,

Welcome to the Association and the forum.

I know that some of the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps received commissions into the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and served with the 1st Bn at Gallipoli.

If you need any assistance with the forum please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Ceylon-Medals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceylon-Medals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 21:46
Greetings:

Just a quick word of introduction. 

Grateful to have discovered the Gallipoli Association Forum.  Although I am a member of several other military history related fora, I only just discovered the association a few days ago, via a reference on the Great War Forum.

As my signature block (should) indicate, my primary interests are:
- the activities of the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps (CPRC) in Egypt and Gallipoli;
- the activities of the Royal Naval Air Service's Armoured Car Division in Egypt and Gallipoli.

I have amassed, over the past 15+ years, a great deal of information on the former, which I am happy to share with any one else interested in the subject.  On the latter, however, my efforts remain rather rudimentary to date.

Cheers,

Glen,
In Our Dominion of the North

PS: happy to have also joined the Gallipole Association, and am delighted to have read Steve Chambers' outstanding article on the RNAC Division in Gallipoli in 1915 (Gallipolian, Autumn 2001).

PPS: in case any are interested, my avatar (should) be the cap badge of the CPRC.

Edited by Ceylon-Medals - 10 Dec 2013 at 21:47
Collector and researcher of all things connected with the Ceylon Planters Rifles Corps and the RNAS (Armoured Car Division).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic