Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > British Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

1/5th (Bury) Territorial Battalion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matsui21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/5th (Bury) Territorial Battalion
    Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 18:36
I am trying to research more information on the 1/5th Territorial Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers.  My first question is; was this Battalion primarily a pals battalion from Bury?
I have read that they were the first battalion of the 125th brigade to land and take part in the Second battle of Krithia; does anyone know their position on the line (i.e. Gully Spur, Fir Tree Spur, etc...)?  Last question for this post; Once this Battalion went on the line, did they or any other group get a break from the line or were they constantly on the front once the hit the ground?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,
Matthew
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 19:53
Michael,

The 1/5th had many Bury men in its ranks. I will post a fuller account when I get to my PC tomorrow.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 17:16
Michael,

The 1/5th Landed at "W" and "Y" beaches at Helles on 5th may 1915 and moved to a point above Gully Beach. The took part in the 2nd Battle of Krithia in support of 1/6th Lanc Fusilers on 6th May.
On the 7th May they tool part in an attack on Gurkha Bluff moving through the 1/6th Lancs. They came under heavy rifle and machine gun fire and were forced to retire back to their start line. They suffered heavy casualties from both British and Turkish artillery. They were withdrawn to "W" beach during teh night. They sustained 5 Officer and 183 other rank casualties.

In June 1915, they took part in the Third battle of Krithia (operating in the West Kirthia Nullah/East Krithia Nullah Junction)

on 23rd June they sailed for Lemnos for rest.

July 1915.

Landed "V" Beach Helels on 11th July and moved to the Krithia Nullah Sector. They were located in the support line (on the 16th) and the front line  (on the 18th) Reserve at Krithia (22nd) In reserve Eski Lines (29th) and in support  in the Redoubt Line, Krithia Nullah (31st).

On  27th December they left "W" Beach for Mudros. Estimated Casualties for  the campaign are given as 9 Officers and 234 other ranks.

Rest areas on the peninsula were "relative" units were moved out of the front lines to "rear areas" which were still liable to receive Turkish Artillery. Units were also withdrawn to the Island of Lemnos for rest and refitting.

The above information is extracted from various sources and is not complete, if you have any other queries just ask.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Matsui21 View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matsui21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 18:30
That is Awesome!  Thank you for all that information Mal!
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Best Regards,
Matthew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic