The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

32263 L/Cpl Ernest Smith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamanaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 32263 L/Cpl Ernest Smith
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 23:39
Hello

Ive been researching my great grandfathers war records and have discovered that he served with D company 1st Garrison Battalion of the Royal Warcwickshire Regiment. He also served with 12th Battalion Royal Worcester Regiment (number then was 9359)

His Military History Sheet show him serving at home 17.8.14 to 14.10.15; Medtn Expdy Force 15.10.15 to 15.2.16 and Expdy force mesopotamia 16.2.16 to 16.3.19

i also have the following dates listed but cannot make out where they pertain to 14.3.19 to 29.3.19 and 30.3.19 to 27.4.19

I have a copy of a letter he sent to the war office on November 10th 1917 whilst on furlough asking to be released from service because of chronic rheumatism caused by hardships endured in the Dardanelles and Mesopotamia. (The war office told him to get back to Egypt)He says he re-enlisted on 17.8.14 but i cannot find any mention of him prior to this.

I was wondering if some kind soul can shed light on what the battalion was up to, where they served and what actions they were involved in? What would they have been doing at home? I have a wonderful charge sheet mentioning he was awol for 70 hours whilst at Wareham and he was given 14 days cb (confined to barracks?) and fined 14 days pay. His CO was Lt Col Sir E Clarke who awarded his punishment.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 19:58

From quicjk research that I have done, I have come up with the following information.

Firstly the 12 Battalion was a training Battalion so it is possible that he was trained in the unit and then subsequently posted to one of the two Battalions of the Warwickshires that served at Gallipoli the 4th and the 9th Bns.

The 1st Garrison Bn of his Regiment were in Egypt from August 1915.

I am not sure if this info is of any use to you, but if I find anything else I will let you know.

Besat regards

Mal

llamanaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamanaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 22:28
thanks for the kind welcome mal, good to be here... from the little ive managed to research today i seem to have come on leaps and bounds. Seems great grandad trained with the 12th and joined the 9th at gallipoli on 15 october 1915. They left the area in january 1916 so he wasnt there long
llamanaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamanaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:18
he was initially trained in the 5th battalion and then onto the 12th... 1 document ive uncovered says that he re-enlisted in 1914 but i cant find any evidence of his previous military service, all the census info points to the fcat that he was a master fruiterer and a brass caster but no mention of military service anywhere
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic