The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 6th Bn East Lancashire Regt.
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pte. Thomas McCarthy, 16967: Missing 09.08.1915
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Pte. Thomas McCarthy, 16967: Missing 09.08.1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blakeley View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blakeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pte. Thomas McCarthy, 16967: Missing 09.08.1915
    Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 16:11
Private Thomas McCarthy
16967 6th East Lancashire Regiment
Missing in Action 9th August 1915, aged 23
Lived at 11 Leyland Road
Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli

Burnley Express, 1915
News Wanted: Young Burnley Soldier Missing.

Mrs. McCarthy, of 11, Leyland road, Burnley, is desirous of obtaining definite news of her youngest son, Pte. Thomas McCarthy, of the 6th Batt. East Lancashire Regiment, who has been missing since August 9th. Pte. McCarthy, who is 23 years of age, was formerly employed at Towneley Colliery. His brother, Pte. James McCarthy, of the 1st East Lancashire Regt., was killed on July 6th, while another brother, Pte. John McCarthy, also of the 6th Batt., has lost an eye in action, and is still in hospital. Sergt. M. McCarthy, another brother, has also been wounded, but has recovered, and is now at Salonika.

Mrs. McCarthy has received the following letter from Lieut. Hugh Kelly; -- "I have made every effort in my power to trace your beloved son. I found out from Sergt. Taylor, of the machine gun section, that he was wounded in the head and also in the body, and he wandered off towards the dressing station a long way behind us. God in Heaven only knows what became of him afterwards. I hope you will put your trust in God, and hope for the best. If I ever find out any news of him I will let you know at once, as I thought a great deal of your son. Give my best wishes to your other boys."

Burnley Express, 1916
Now Presumed Dead. Missing in Eastern Campaign.

On Saturday Mrs. McCarthy, of 11, Leyland road, Burnley, received a communication from the War Office, stating that her youngest son, Pte. Thomas McCarthy, of the 6th East Lancashire Regiment who was reported missing in the east since August 9th, 1915, is now presumed to have been killed on that date.

Private Thomas McCarthy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic