The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Advice for my Gallipoli diary creation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BG2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for my Gallipoli diary creation
    Posted: 03 May 2013 at 15:41

Hello, I am a new member but to give Stephen a break on Facebook I have joined here to gain more info and support the association.

As with many people trying to find WW1 service records it is near on impossible so I thought I would create a diary / account for my Great Grandads time in the 2nd Hampshire Regiment and I want to do it justice and get it right.

I have taken info from war diaries, C.T Atkinson book Hampshire Regiment 1914 -1918 and help from the Museum.

Private Alfred William Goddard 8581 was in the 2nd Hants Reg from 1910 -1918 his medal record date is 25/4/15 could this mean he was in Y company as the first part of the regiment to leave the River Clyde ? How could I find his company without a service record ?

He was wounded on 6th May 1915 and on casualty list No 6.

This is the only information I can find he was discharged in 1918 reason sickness there doesn’t seem to be any mention for him in between. I wondered if the sickness could have been the flu, would have thought if it was from his wounds it would have said this ?

Where could I start looking for his time from being wounded and coming  home ? I would be interested in how he would have been treated, any hospitals he would have been in.  I wonder what he was doing after Gallipoli but still in the Regiment until 1918.

I would appreciate any help with the above questions or tips on where to look etc.

Thanks Ben

Edited by BG2012 - 02 Jun 2013 at 18:25
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 20:35
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum and the Association.

I am not near my pc at the moment, but a quick check of the V beach cemetery records show a large number of Hampshires with regimental numbers very close to your grandfathers's, which could mean he was in Y coy, but some records also show that at least half of HQ coy were also present on the River Clyde.

With reference to what happened after ge was wounded, you could try local newspapers around the time for reports regarding him.

I will try and answer this post in depth over the next few days.

regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
BG2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BG2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 22:08

Thanks Mal, I will look forward to your reply and any other forum members :)

I have looked at loads of pages for the local paper for his home town on microfiche and found other Goddards and local people mentioned but not Alfred. 

Edited by BG2012 - 01 Jun 2013 at 15:03
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 22:38
G'day Ben,

Just be careful with some official records as in regard to be wounded. Not sure about any surviving British records but in the Australian records there is often noted GSW which means gun shot wound but this may not necessarily be so as the wound could have been caused by shrapnel. The flu was noted as being influenza, venereal disease was noted as VD and gonorrhoea was written in full as they probably were stumped as to how to shorten it. Sometimes memorial boards have the soldiers company noted so there may be one in a church that he attended and even the minutes of the meetings of the Church elders mention such things. It is amazing where it can crop up at times. 

Hope this is of some help,

Peter

ANZACPRIDE
BG2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BG2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 23:50
G'evening Peter,

I have the wounded info from the Hampshire Regiment Journal and it was shrapnel wound left humerus like most names mentioned on that day it was due to shrapnel. I only have the "sick" part for his discharge in 1918 and thought if it had been due to his wounding it would have been stated as that and not sick, and cannot find him anymore info for him after June 5th 1918. The flu was just an idea for 1918 sick discharge, he died in 1941.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 14:18
Hi Ben,

You probably have most of this (but just in case).

The 1911 English Census shows him servig as a Private with the 2nd Bn. Hampshire Regiment (Mauritius/South Africa).

His SWB records show him as enlisting on 24/1/1910 and as being discharged "Sick" aged 27 on 5/10/1918. I note that in your response to Peter above you say that you have no Infor for him after 5 June 1918 is this an error.

I would say that as the war was not over until a month after his discharge in 1918, it is unlikel;y that his sickness was the flu most likely it was attributable to his wounds and service.

With regards to wheteher he was on the River Clyde or not, I have checked the CWGC and soldiers died for men with Regimental numbers close to his (Not a definite science but fairly reliable).

The following are died between 25/4/and 11/5/1915
8419 Private D Simms 2 Bn Hampshire Regt KIA 26/4/1915
8575 Private Henry Griffiths 2 Bn Hampshire Regt KIA 28/4/1915
8587 Private Harry Combes 2 Bn Hampshire Regt KIA 8/5/1915
8614 Private Walter Nutbeam (CWGC show him as Nutbeem) 2 Bn Hampshire Regt KIA 26/4/1915

I know that the War Diary states that HQ Coy and Y Coy of the Hampshires were on board the River Clyde when she hit V Beach.

Hope this helps if there is anything you need clarification on please ask.
BG2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BG2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 15:33

Hi Mal,

You are correct I made an error in typing what was in my head.

I could not find any further mentions for him in service etc from the date he got wounded to his discharge. If this was due to his wounds I thought it would have said that instead of sick ?? However its likely that being badly wounded would have been the reason or connected with it as you say.

So it seems ok for me to put him on V beach with the few men who made it ashore on the 25th April but I am aware its not a definite

In regards to his wounds and after care where is the best place to start looking for what Alfred would have experienced ? Would it be possible to find which ships he may have been treated on or the hospitals he went to abroad and at home ? I am not expecting to see his name but any hospital ships, transports to land hospitals around 6th May 1915 would be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by BG2012 - 02 Jun 2013 at 18:25
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 17:18
Hi Ben,

Leave this with me, the tracing of the wounded is a very difficult journey.

With regards to the hospital ships, this is in itself a difficult job. You can check out the supportship section of the Royal Navy part of the forum, many of the ships are listed but there are more to add.

You could check the National Archives for possible ships logs.

Mal
ATKIN7010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKIN7010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:27
I have the Log for H.M.H.S. Soudan for Jan. 8th. to Sept. 4th. 1915.

It lists deaths & burials at sea, but there are no entries for the wounded.

Kathryn.
In Memory of my Grandfather, Richard Henry Polglase, and the other Cornishmen of 18th. Labour Company, A.S.C. who were lost when HMT Royal Edward was torpedoed 13th. August, 1915.

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:48
G'day Kathryn,

Do the burials that are listed note the regiments the soldiers were in? Would be a great resource to have available online.

Many thanks,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
ATKIN7010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKIN7010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 22:23
Originally posted by Peter Trounson Peter Trounson wrote:

G'day Kathryn,

Do the burials that are listed note the regiments the soldiers were in? Would be a great resource to have available online.

Many thanks,

Peter

Here is one entry:

C.W.G.C.

SHEPHERD, THOMAS JAMES

Date of Death:  07/06/1915

Regiment/Service:  Australian Field Artillery  1st Bde.

Panel Reference   11.  Memorial  LONE PINE MEMORIAL

SOUDAN LOG:

Date of Death:  07/06/1915

T.J.Sheppard (sic)  G.S.W. Abdomen.

Body handed over to the Naval & Military Authorities for Burial.

Kathryn.

Edited by Kathryn - 09 May 2013 at 22:44
In Memory of my Grandfather, Richard Henry Polglase, and the other Cornishmen of 18th. Labour Company, A.S.C. who were lost when HMT Royal Edward was torpedoed 13th. August, 1915.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic