The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Royal Welch Fusilliers in Gallipoli

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Welch Fusilliers in Gallipoli
    Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:31
My Grandfather Pte William Jones; Regimental Number: 265423 served with the Royal Welch Fusillers in Sulva Bay.  I belive he was serving with the Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys.  How could I research or check this?
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 19:58
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this query.

Firstly you are off to a great start as you have your grandfather's Regimental number (in the case of soldiers it is better than DNA).

I have checked his Medal Index Card and it also shows him with a Regimental number of "1436" which I believe is a Territorial Force number.

His Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli (2b Balkans) Theatre of War on 8/8/1915; it also shows him as being discharged on 9/7/1919.

With this information you can apply to the National Archives in Kew for a copy of his Medal Index card and for his entry on his Regimental Medal rolls, which will give you somne more information.

Research show the 1/5th (Flintshire) Battalion (Territorial Force) Royal Welsh Fusiliers as part of the 158 Bde 53 (Welsh) Division Embarking from Mudros on the "Rowan" and sailing for Imbros on 8/8/1915/ They left Imbros for Suvla at 0430am on the 9th and landed at "C" Beach at 6am.

They departed the Gallipoli Peninsula on 12th December 1915. They went on to serve in Egypt/Gaza.

You now have a strong basis on which to expand your research

Regards

Mal

Edited by Peter Trounson - 03 Apr 2013 at 20:02
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic