The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Grandfather in Gallipoli

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grandfather in Gallipoli
    Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 07:02
Having received wonderful assistance in tracking my wife's great uncle who died in the Gallipoli campaign I wonder if anyone might offer advice on researching the war service of my Grandfather who told me that he served in Gallipoli but about whom I can find no information at all. Apart from the fact that he was called Harold Lewis Janes I know nothing else at all. I know he served in the army but can find no service record for him at the National Archives though being a novice, it is entirely possible that I have missed something. He lived in Herne Bay Kent and I know his brother served in the East Kent Regiment. I know he was born on the 2nd of August 1898 but apart from I've got nothing else. He survived the war and died 7th February 1985. Any thoughts on where I might begin?

Many thanks

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
cockney gel View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cockney gel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:39
Hello Jerry,
I found your Grandfathers' birth and death. Also in the marriages there's 2 Harold L.Janes, one marriage to Mabel A. Milliner o/n/d 1921 in Biggleswade, Beds. and the other to Esther A. King a/m/j 1928 in Brentford, Middlesex. I can't find anything in the military sections other than: Harry Janes Private P.O./13942 on the Royal Marines Medal Roll 1914-20.    
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 14:05
Many thanks. He is the one from Biggleswade. He wasn't in the Marines. I will carry on looking.

Best wishes

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 18:24
Hi Jerry,

The problem with WWI service records is that many were destroyed during the blitz in WWII, what records that did survive are sometimes referred to as "the burnt records".

What do survive are medal index cards and silver war badge records and some pension records.
I will try and see what I can find over the next few days.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 19:12
Once again, hugely indebted to you Mal. Many thanks,

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 11:39

Hi Jerry,

I have found a Medal Index Card for a Harold Janes who served with the Royal West Kent Regiment (Regimental Number 1890, I believe this to be a Territorial force Number).

The 2/4th Royal West Kents served at Gallipoli with the 53rd Division.

The Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Egyptian Theatre of Operations (3) on 1/8/1915.

The Index Card also shows him as serving with the "C of Hussars"  (Regimental Number 51025).

You can chase up his medal rolls with the National Archives in Kew and see will thay add any further information.
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 05:43
Once again I am hugely indebted to you Mal. I'll chase this up at Kew as soon as I can get there. I thought I had searched the medal card index for him but obviously not. My wife always tells me that I am brilliant at looking but not so good at seeing...

Many thanks

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 08:02
G'day Jerry,

Just one thing to remember if someone cannot find their relatives records in what are left in the English ones and they don't know the regiment etc sometimes people enlisted in the army of the country that they were in at the time, not wanting to wait to get home to their own country or were attached to another countries regiment etc. There were Aussies in the British army, Kiwi army etc Brits in the South African, Aussie, Kiwi armies etc. Or you might be researching a brother of your grandfather and this is what can happen. And of course the entries are not treated the same by each country as Gallipoli is commonly mentioned by name in the Australian records but not so in the Kiwi ones etc. All in all it is great detective work which I enjoy immensely.

The Australian records are extensive and are available free of charge normally online though there are a few that are closed for whatever reason.

Hope you have fun with the rest of your research,

Cheers cobber,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 12:45
Totally right Peter.

Jerry you should also chase down a copy of the Royal West Kent war diary covering their Gallipoli service.

Regards

Mal
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 07:10
Would that be at the National Archives? Many thanks to both of you for your advice. It seems to me that it is relatively simple to find details of a relative who died in the war but very much harder to find traces of anyone who survived. I am trying now to find my wife's Grandfather, Thomas Horne who lived with his parents in Carlisle and probably though not certainly, enlisted in the Border Regiment as his brothers Robert and Alfred had done. I can find no record of him however. Where would be a good place to start? He was born in 1897 so would have been 17 when the war broke out.

Many thanks and best wishes

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 09:30
Jerry

The war diary can be download on line fro
The national archives.

What you say regarding the ease of finding info on those who died is very true, this is especially true in the case of British soldiers.

You could try the Border Regiment medal rolls for a Thomas Horne sometimes therolls give the age in discharge.

Good luck with your research, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic