Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > British Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

The Border Regiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Border Regiment
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 07:02
Please forgive the naivety of a newbie but I am trying to research the death of my wife's great uncle who served with the Border Regiment in the 1st Battalion of the 29th Division. He was killed on the 9th August 1915 at Helles and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Could anyone suggest where I might start looking for details of the action in which he died? I love poring over trench diaries etc but do they exist for Gallipoli and how can I narrow the search down? Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 09:39
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum, no need to apologise for asking questions here as we aim to help answer questions.

Could you give us his details regimental number, name etc, that way it makes it easier to help.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 11:07
Many thanks for such a swift response. His name is Alfred Horne (the "e" on Horne was a recent addition). He was a private in the Border regiment and his regimental number was 11508. He was I think, aged 31 when he died.

I'm within easy reach of the National Archives and had I the slightest idea what to look for I'd be keen to research the action in which he died.

I'd massively appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks and best wishes

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 11:18
Thanks for this Jerry. I will have a look and come up with a research trail for you to follow.

Mal
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 15:38
Hi Jerry,

I checked Alfred's Medal Index Card and it shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 18/7/1915. His Battalion was shown as "6th Bn Border Regiment" (The CWGC also shows his Bn as 6th Bn.) He was shown as "Deceased 9/8/1915" which normally (I have found through my research) means he may have been classed as missing")

With regards to a possible date for his enlistment using the Silver Wound Badge Rolls as a guide, the Regt Number 11474 was allocated on 27/8/1914 and 11726 was allocated on 31/8/1914, so it would be almost certain that he enlisted between those dates.

The Battalion War Diary for the period 12-21 July 1915 shows them at Mudros and the interesting comment for you would be "Major F.G.G. MORRIS, 2nd LT CHAMBERS & O'BRIEN & a draft of 199 other ranks joined the Battn from England on the 17th."

The Battalion War Diary for the 8th to 10th August shows the in the Krithia Sector at Helles and the following "Usual sniping continued day & night. Patrols were sent out nightly along the beach & discovered that the enemy were in the habit of sending a party estimated at 60 strong down to their wire entanglements on the beach each night. Attempts were made to ambush patrols sent out from this party but without success".

The Diary comments on 14th August "Casualties during the week rank & file, killed 5, wounded 15. "
With regards to your research trail I would suggest that you apply to the National Archives at Kew to get Alfred's Medal Roll's that will tell you exactly when he enlisted. You can also download the Bn War Diaries online.

You could also check out this site which deals with the Border Regiment

I hope this information adds to your research and that you might consider allowing us to post Alfred in our online Roll of Honour.

If you need any further information just post your request here.

Best regards,

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 29 Mar 2013 at 13:05
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 18:12

Thank you so much for this huge amount of information. You must have spent ages looking for it and I am most grateful. Please do add Alfred Horne to your role of honour. I'll follow up your suggestions and can't wait find the relevant battalion diaries.

Many thanks indeed.

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 18:18
Hi Jerry,

I will try sort out the roll of honour tomorrow when I get to my computer.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 13:52
Jerry,

Firstly I have posted Alfred on the Roll of honour.

Secondly my apologies I was doing most of my reading of your posts from my mobile phone, so I made one slight error and that refers to Alfred's unit. He was actually a member of the 6th Bn and NOT the 1st Bn, I too your reference to the 29th Division and ran with it (MY MISTAKE).

The following is a brief history of the 6th Bn Border Regiment.

Formed at Carlisle in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under orders of 33rd Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division.

11am 29/6/1915: Orders received from 33 Inf Bde. to move to Liverpool tomorrow for service at the Dardanelles.

1/7/1915:  All 33 Inf Bde on board H.T. "Empress of Britain" at Liverpool. Sailed at 10:30. pm.

18/7/1915: Arrived Mudros, Island of Tenedos. (Note that the ship had stopped at Malta and Alexandria).

20/7/1915 (1am) : Disembarked on Gallipoli Peninsula (Helles).

01/8/1915: Withdrawn to Imbroas for rest.

06/8/1915: Departed Imbros for Suvla.

7/8/1915: Landed Suvla.

The War Diary makes for some very interesting reading and are quite descriptive I would suggest that you download the 11st Division War Diaries from the National Archives onlin (£3.50).

The War Diary shows the following casualties for 9 August;

"Casualties being officers - 12 killed, 4 wounded 1 missing; 20 Officers started the attack. Casualties being rank and file - killed 26, wounded 241, missing 131; 696 men started in the morning with the Battalion".

I believe that Alfred was one of the missing as his Medal Index Card shows him as "Deceased" as opposed to "Killed in action" or "Died of wounds".

Apologies again for the mixup.

Edited by Mal Murray - 29 Mar 2013 at 13:58
Jerrymjj View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrymjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 19:03
So grateful Mal. It is totally fascinating to be able to trace his steps almost a century later and I'll go up to the National Archives next week to get the War Diary.  Many thanks indeed.

Jerry
Many thanks, Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic