The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli in Art, Poetry, Song and Films/T.V. > Gallipoli Artwork
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 'The Dardanelles - colour sketches of Gallipoli'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

'The Dardanelles - colour sketches of Gallipoli'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'The Dardanelles - colour sketches of Gallipoli'
    Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 02:00
This beautiful book is by Norman Wilkinson, a Royal Navy Officer who went on to design the 'dazzle' camouflage employed on ships both civilian and military during WW1. I have noticed his artwork floating around online, available as prints etc, and one print showing Short 184 floatplanes is on the front cover of my edition of 'Greenmantle', the 'The Thirty-Nine Steps' sequel by John Buchan in which Richard Hannay goes undercover in Turkey. The first half or so of the book describes the campaign itself, but the last half is the best bit - watercolours by Wilkinson of the campaign, usually from the naval aspect, and all smaller sketches interspersing the prints. It's a first edition 1915 example I picked up, with a 1916 inscription inside the front cover. The photos aren't great, I don't want to force the book flat in case I damage the spine so scanning is out of the question, so these snaps were taken on my phone. I'll post more tomorrow, having a few computer problems tonight

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 08:11
Rob,

I have a link to an online version of this book which is available for free download from the Internet archive. The pictures are very good quality I will post it later.

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 12:51
Rob,

As promised the link to the online version of the book, it is available in various electronic formats.

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 20:42
Thanks Mal, archive.org comes up tops yet again, very impressed with how well it's been copied and saves me damaging mine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic