The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Cooee! Hello from a new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkey6921 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooee! Hello from a new member
    Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 12:21
Greetings and compliments to all members from me, Philip Hawkey of Truro, Cornwall, UK.

I was a member some few years ago, sadly lapsed, but now happily back in your good fellowship.

My father, 1962 Pte Thomas Stanley Hawkey (1893-1984) can be found on the embarkation roll of 5th Reinforcements, 3rd Bn AIF:

5th Reinforcements were embodied with the 3rd Bn. in theater in July 1915, and Father was wounded on or around 8th August 1915, at time 3rd Bn was engaged in the action at Lone Pine. 

I never cease to berate myself for not asking him more questions, and demanding to know more, but he was a most unforthcoming man as I gather were many of their generation.  He was not out there for long, and I can only assume that he was employed in the assault on Lone Pine, and hit by shrapnel after the famous assault on the Turkish lines.  Evacuated to Mudros and subsequently to Egypt and then to Woolwich Hospital for recuperation, from where in Januray 1916, he sent his brother a post-card, shown in the attached images saying:  "I have walked this beach a good many times, but I don't suppose I shall again."

I very much hope that I shall be able to join an Association visit to Gallipoli in 1915.  I would love to go to Lone Pine, and walk that beach in their memory.

Liverpool Camp, Sydney, March 1915

Father, back row, right, Liverpool Camp, March 1915.

Post Card

A post card sent from Woolwich Hospital, January 1916.

Best wishes to all.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 13:55
Philip,

Welcome to forum and indeed welcome back to the Association.

Thank you for posting these excellent photographs.

Perhaps you might consider posting a biographical profile of your father on the forum.

I presume you have a copy of his service records from the Australian Archives; if not they may be accessed here.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 01 Feb 2013 at 14:11
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 13:55
Nearly snap here, except it was my Grandfather and he was in the 4th Battalion AIF, D Company and did loose his life at Lone Pine, and yes have been there as well.
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 13:58
Hi Philip,

Welcome back to the fold. We have a members Battlefield trip going out this September that still has a few spaces left, why not come and join us for 5 days exploring the battlefields?

All the best, Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic