The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

George Henry Simpkin Sapper 1245 later 78400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpkin6917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: George Henry Simpkin Sapper 1245 later 78400
    Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 19:32
Hi I am researching my Grandfathers service record and am lead to believe he served in Gallipoli and landed at theatre 2a  perhaps as a signaller with the 10th Irish Division I have a photo of him with what maybe a blue / white armband....My research to date has hit a bit of a wall.. I remember seeing a photo album when I was a boy and being fascinated of granddad in the desert the photos sadly passed to a relative who emigrated. The pictures showed a bi plane and some kind of armoured car obviously this may have been of a different time and place...In any event he survived but never returned home choosing to stay in Liverpool where he embarked and lived the rest of his life as a police constable..Any additional info on him that may be available or a place to do further research would be much appreciated.

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 14:31
Hi,

Firstly welcome to the Association and indeed the forum.

A quick check on your grandfather's medal index card shows him as entering the Gallipoli (Balkans 2b) Theatre on 25/7/1915.

I would suggest that using the information on the Medal Index Card you order the medal rolls from the National Archive for grandfather, this will expand your information and may also give you an actual unit.

You could also contact the Royal Engineers Museum, their website is located here;

His medal index card makes reference to "Class Z" this refers to the "Class Z Reserve".

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.

The following link leads to a downloadable version of the book "The Tenth Irish Division at Gallipoli"
this may be of interest to due to the possible "Tenth Division" connection.

I hope this is of use.

Regards,

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 30 Jan 2013 at 14:39
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic