The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

escape from Gallipoli

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACDONALD6912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: escape from Gallipoli
    Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 21:24

In my book my hero (a Lovat scout) is between Ipsala on the Turkish border and Alexandropoli (called Dedeagach  by the Bulgarians)

He is there in jan 2016.

In those days the strip of land running along the Mediterranean was Bulgarian rather than Greek (until after WW1)

Some questions

1.       Is there any record of partisans operating in this area at that time?

2.       I know this bit of land became Greek, but was it Greek before?

3.       Might the local people have been friendly towards brits escaping from the Turks?

Really kind of you

thanks

Angus MacDonald

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 13:44
Hi Angus,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Firstly, there is a CWCG cemetery in Dedeagach (

There are two sailors from H.M.S. Majestic (Sunk 27/5/1915) interred there.

The info can be viewed here.

As for Dedeagach itself, to say it has an interesting past would be to put it politely.

Alexandroupoli (Greek: Αλεξανδρούπολη, [aleksanˈðrupoli]), is a city of Greece and the capital of the Evros regional unit in Thrace. It is an important port and commercial center of northeastern Greece.

The city was founded as Dedeagach ( Turkish: Dedeağaç, Bulgarian: Дедеагач,Greek: Δεδεαγάτς). The name was based on a local tradition of a wise old man or dede who spent much of his time in the shade of a local tree (in Turkish ağaç) and was eventually buried beside it. Dedeagach remained the official name of the city throughout the Ottoman period, and the name used for it in the West until the establishment of the Hellenic Republic in 1924 (?). In 1920 it was renamed Alexandroupoli in honor of King Alexander I of Greece.

The full article may be read here;

During my ongoing research into the campaign I have come across the following book; Secrets of the Balkans by Charles Vopicka (1921).

The book contains a history of the Balkans area and indeed also deals with the period of the Great War. You might find some answers in it.

The book may be downloaded free in various electronic formats from the following location;

hope this is of use.

Regards,

Mal

To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
ianphilliskirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:54
All
also 'dede' is a name given to a 'grandfather'. It's a  bit like 'gramps' or 'pop'. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic