The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Biographies of British Forces Personnel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gunner J McLean, 392, Argyll Battery, RGA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunner J McLean, 392, Argyll Battery, RGA
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 01:11
As mentioned, my great-grandfather was J McLean, in the Argyll Battery, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA. When I searched for his Medal Index Card using his later service number which is on his medals, 300127, there was nothing for the 1914/15 Star which I was recently told he has. Tonight I tried searching for his MIC using his first service number which I found from the Silver War Badge lists, 392, and found it! For some reason it's a poor quality which I downloaded from the National Archives (anyone know why this is? When a friend found his MIC for 300127 it was a beautiful scan of both front and back), at £3.36 despite currently paying someone else to research him - not that I mind as I couldn't bear to wait - and under his 1914/15 Star it mentions under 'Theatre of War first served in' - 2(B) Balkans, on 16th September 1915. This ties up with what my grandad has told me and it's really good to have proof that he was out there - and just makes me even more impatient to return as soon as possible
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 18:33
Rob.

The information I have regarding the National Archives copies of the Medal Index Cards is that they were photocopied in black and white and only the front sheet (the back sheet in some cases actually had next of kin details or other commemts on them).

In the cases of the ones I have downloaded from the National Archives they sometimes come with three or four other Medal Index Cards on the page (I believe that this might just be a case of economy of effort (filling an A4 page) in photocopying.

The Medal Index Cards used by Ancestry.co.uk were saved by the WFA and scanned in colour and both sides of the Card were also scanned.

With regards to to your grandfather's service, yes "2(b) Balkans" was the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations so as you say "Proof".
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic