Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Land Operations Research > British Regiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

4th (Highland) Mountain Brigade, RGA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th (Highland) Mountain Brigade, RGA
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 21:36
Yes, his earlier service number is 393 too, bit of a strange coincedence. In all there's about ten John McLeans or MacLeans in that unit
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 12:45
Hi Rob,

Thanks for this, I just had a look and yes that is just a smudge (damned fountain pens).

It might be an idea to check the actual medal rolls as the Index Card also refers to a sub-list.
The Medal Rolls can sometimes have more information than is given on the Medal Index Card.

The Index Card also shows T.F. (Territorial Force).

It is also interesting to note that there was also a J McLean serving in the R.G.A with the Regt. No. 300128 which means they most likely joined on the same day or close enough.

Mal
Strangley there is NO theatre of War entered.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 12:16
Hi Mal, his first name was John - his later service number was 300127, I have a digital copy of his MIC and interestingly by 1914/15 Star there is just a blue dot that looks like it could be a drop of ink or a smudge (I've not researched any other individuals before so not sure if this could signify anything else, but someone else said it just looked like a smudge) - however my great uncle does have his medals stamped with his service number at the end of the war, 300127, and he does have the 14/15 Star.

There's no other information on it regarding his service - I do have a professional on the case though, although his service record may still be held by the MoD as I was very recently told that he was in the TA after the war
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:57
Hi Rob,

I just did a quick check for your grandfather in the medal index cards, but could not find him.
What was his first name?

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 01:07
...and I have now just doubled my knowledge of the unit by reading Mike Morrison's superb article in a previous journal. Looks like my Gallipoli Association membership has just paid for itself already
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 20:17
My great-grandfather was a member of this unit, 392 J McLean, and may have been at Gallipoli. I was wondering if anyone had any photos or information on this unit that served as mountain gunners with 10 pounder mountain guns, the unit was made up of several Batteries, the Argyll, Bute, Ross & Cromarty Batteries. My great-grandfather was with the Argyll Battery. So far I am aware of this website regarding the Bute battery;

http://www.butesonsanddaughters.co.uk/battery.shtml

and that the IWM have one single photograph of a 10 pounder gun and crew from the unit, but it's not digitised so will have to send off for a digital print.

Best regards, Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic