The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli in Art, Poetry, Song and Films/T.V.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli from Above

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli from Above
    Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 09:34
Just to let you know that Military History Channel is showing the above documentary on 20th January, 2013 unfortunately they did not give a time.  They are saying its a new documentary not seen before.

Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 18:15
Thanks Lone Pine.

It has been aired in Australia but I think this is the first time to UK television. Its on 20 Jan and starteds at 22:00 for 60 minutes. Its by Hugh Dolan.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 18:44
Hi Carole,

I recorded this last night and then watched it. To be honest I am half and half about it.   

It was a typical Discovery type documentary (Military History  Channel), it spent neary half an hour getting to the point and then kind off fudged it.

I like Hugh Dolan's work and indeed Peter T was kind enough to send me a copy of the "Comic Book" version of the documentary, which to be honest appeareds to be the script of the programme.

What I did note was the willingness of Hugh Dolan towards busting the common myths regarding the leadership of the Anzacs "Brits sending Aussies to die on the wrong beach" and the lack of intelligence of Turkisk Dispositions.

I suppose you can't please everyone, I suppose I am one of those that can't be easily pleased.

I will keep the programme on the recorder all the same as there are some great scenes of iconic Gallipoli landmarks.

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 22:32
Hi all,

I thought it was quite good, although nothing new for many of us. Hugh is a good bloke with a relevant military background, and the "exploding the myth" tag lines are good to get out into the general public, especially in time for 2015.

When I was researching the Anzac landing a few years ago, what was apparent in all of the original sources, were the amount of pointy fingers blaming everyone and everything for it going wrong, and here is where the "wrong beach" myth began. Funny enough, no one gave real credit to the Turks for fighting the Anzacs to a standstill ! 

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 09:28
Steve,

I watched it again last night, and your right, it was good and is a great introductory lesson for newcomers and also a medium for causing debate.

Hugh's military background stood out particularly in the description of the use of the map (although the N.C.O. In me was screaming get a hair cut).

Your comment about the Turks, identifies that biggest flaw in military history, underestimation of the enemy (Custer at the Little Bighorn and Chelmsford at Islandwana etc).

I hope to see more programmes on Gallipoli over the next couple of years.

To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic