Forum Home Forum Home > Photograph Gallery > Land Operations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Pictures of Gallipoli WW1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of Gallipoli WW1
    Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 15:57
http://www.ww1photos.com/Gallipoli.html

Just found this on a website WW1Photos, and good to see some pictures of Gallipoli there.
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 15:36
Regarding photographs, is there a decent book containing photos of the campaign? Nothing too much to ask, just good quality coffee table style book of images - I have "Gallipoli 1915 - Pens, Pencils and Cameras at War" but unfortunately the photograph reproduction is absolutely dire, which rather defeats the point of the book
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 03:39
Hi Rob,

Sorry about being tardy in my reply but life keeps getting in the way of things.

Four books I can recommend.

Gallipoli, Untold stores from war correspondent Charles Bean and front line Anzacs by Jonathon King and Michael Bowers ISBN 1863254714

Official War History Volume 12 Out of print.

Gallipoli Revisited. by Janda Gooding ISBN 9781740667654

Gallipoli 1915 through Turkish eyes by Haluk Oral ISBN 9789944882170 Out of print but well worth the effort finding it.

Mind you the first three are Anzac orientated. First book is brilliant, second book has 113 Gallipoli related photos out of a total of 753. Third book relates more to the return to Gallipoli after the war and the photos are taken of the old trenches, human remains, war wreckage and the setting out of the cemeteries. Haluk Orals book is from the Turkish viewpoint. Not so many old photos but heaps of photos of relics and how they relate to the battle but in a different set out to what one would normally expect.

If you want some photos of what the books look like I can email them to you if you give me your email address.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 22 May 2014 at 13:13
ANZACPRIDE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic