The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Research Resources > Naval Operations and Ship Research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HMS Queen Elizabeth
    Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 17:00

Greetings

I have found a veteran's reference to Queen Elizabeth being  involved in shelling at Chunnuk Bair during  6th August -10th August 1915 .
Didn't realise that Queen Elizabeth was still in the region at the time, or that there was naval support during the August Days.
Anyone found a reference to either?
Regards
Michael Bully

The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 18:24
Hi Michael,

I am away from home at the moment until Wednesday so cannot access my records.

From memory, I recall that Major Cecil Allanson of the 1/6th Bn Gurkha Rifles was convinced that during an attack by his troops (I think 9 August) were hit by naval gunfire from their own ships. This happened again if I remember correctly on Hill Q near Chunuk Bair. As I say thus us from memory, but I sill check it out when I return home.

Have you checked out the research section on Royal Navy vessels that served during he campaign for information on the Queen Elizabeth.

Regards

Mal
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 18:26
Hi Michael,

I have not read anywhere of the Queen Elizabeth being in the area after the 11th of May or thereabouts. As you know it is not uncommon for veterans to get their time lines all mixed up. Many soldiers claimed to have seen missing soldiers in hospitals during 1916 or later whereas when you check the records the `wounded' soldier had been in hospital before the landings and was killed at Gallipoli. 

Naval support definately continued through the campaign. For the Chunuk Bair assualt the land batteries were assisted by the Bacchante, Endymion, a monitor and three destroyers. (Australian official war history, vol 2, page 693)

The following scan is from the book `The Shores of Gallipoli' and is a list of naval ships used during the first four months of the campaign. 

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 27 Oct 2012 at 18:30
ANZACPRIDE
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 10:48
Thanks for the replies. appreciated.
Interested to hear that other sources mention naval support in the August Days, but yes, it is does not seem to have been the Queen Elizabeth .
Interesting to note that the Endymion  was about. The Bacchantes were particularly unlucky.
Would welcome any further information.
Regards
Michael Bully
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 17:20
Hi again Michael,

If you use the following link you will be able to access the online version of the Official History of Australia in WW1.

Volume 1 and 2 are the pertinent ones. Go to their respective indexes and look up British navy and you will find the list of the twenty five or so British vessels and the references to the pertinent pages.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 29 Oct 2012 at 06:44
ANZACPRIDE
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 22:15
Thats much appreciated   Peter . I have been reading
the section on the August Days . Fascinating. The case here seems to have been that if the Chunuk Bair action 6th August 1915- 10th August 1915 had gone in the Entente favour, then
the outcome of the whole Gallipoli campaign may have been different.
Am particularly interested in the  10th Hampshires, so very helpful to see them get a mention.
Regards, Michael Bully

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic