Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Greetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings
    Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 18:40
Hello All,

I'm Jim and from Sussex, and although I visited Gallipoli whilst exercising with the Royal Artillery as guests of the Turkish Army 20 odd years ago I sadly know only the basics of the campaign and wish to know a great deal more. I am particularly interested in the activities of 2/4th Queen's Royal West Surreys (I'm a born and bred Croydon boy and these were croydon men) and 1/4th Royal Sussex (as I'm now a Sussex boy) at Suvla with 53 Div, and the 2nd Royal Fusiliers of 29 Div. I'd appreciate making contact with any forum experts on these Bns. I have just bought Les Carlyon's book and am awaiting Peter Hart's.

Look forward to learning so much more about the campaign and getting back out there for a visit some day

Many thanks

Gunny
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 19:09
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find what you are looking for here.

Take a good look around at what's already on the forum

Regards

Mal
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 23:16
Hello Jim from me and welcome to the Forum Smile
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 17:46
G'day Jim,

A very big welcome to you. I know you will find the Gallipoli Association a big help for you in your endeavours. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips here with all of us continuing to grow in our knowledge of the campaign. It is truly amazing what turns up in answering what may seem to be a very basic question. One post started with a photo of some armoured cars at Helles, then a bicycle was noted and that started a whole new line of research. As you could appreciate by your visit to Gallipoli the presence of bicycles just doesn't make a lot of sense!

As my area of knowledge is mostly centered on the Anzac area of operations I am not able to help you with specifics of the regiments that are are interested in but I shall endeavour to help you when and where I can.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 27 Oct 2012 at 17:49
ANZACPRIDE
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 19:53
Welcome Jim,

Also from sunny Sussex. The 1/4th Royal Sussex ... a good body of men!

regards, Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic