The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

New member from Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLAKELEY6357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Canada
    Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 15:34
I live in Toronto, Canada and I've just joined the association as I'll be visiting Gallipoli next year. 

I'm particularly interested in the 6th (Service) Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment as two of my relatives, John and Thomas McCarthy, were with this unit in Gallipoli. 

John was shot in his left eye while exiting a trench, but survived and lived until 1976. Unfortunately Thomas wasn't as lucky and was listed as missing on August 9, 1915. From what I can determine he was part of Baldwin's 38th Brigade, and one of many East Lancashire troops killed at The Farm near Chunuk Bair on that day. If anyone has more information I'd love to hear from them...

Here are a couple of links to pages about the brothers, and a description of the other casualties the family suffered in WWI.

John McCarthy
http://www.burnleyinthegreatwar.info/servedm/mccarthyjohn.htm

Thomas McCarthy
http://burnleyinthegreatwar.info/burnleyrollofhonourmenm/mccarthythomas16967.htm

Family That Has Been Hard Hit
Two Brothers Killed, Two Wounded, Cousin Missing. 
Burnley Express and Advertiser, March 17, 1917: page 9

A family very hard hit by the war is that of the McCarthy's, one of whom as announced Wednesday's issue, has now been presumed dead, after being missing at the Dardanelles from August 9, 1915. It is a remarkable record of four brothers and a cousin. All were in the East Lancashire Regt. Two brothers have now been killed; one has lost his left eye but is still serving; whilst the cousin, Pte. Lavin, has been reported wounded and missing since July 1st last, and there are no hopes that he is alive, as nothing has been heard of him, either officially or otherwise since. The unmarried McCarthy brothers lived at 11, Leyland Road, and the cousin (the only cousin) resided with his widowed mother in Pitt Street. Two of the brothers, John and Thomas, and the cousin enlisted within three days of each other.

The eldest of the McCarthy brothers is Sergt. Michael, who is forty years of age. He served in the Boer War, and was a reservist when the present war began with the 3rd East Lancashire Regt. He was on going out attached to another battalion, and has been wounded twice -- once at Neuve Chapelle and once at Salonika. He has now been in hospital at Salonika for the past eight months. He is unmarried. 
Denis McCarthy, the second brother, has been rejected for military service, but he is working munitions. 
The third, Pte. James McCarthy, who was 33 years old at the time he was killed, was with the 1st East Lancashire Regiment, and previous to joining the Army worked at Cooper's Foundry. He was married. He was killed at Ypres on July 6th 1915. He was a reservist having been with the colours seven years. He went through the Boer War. He left three little children, and on his dead body was found a photograph of his wife and children. 

John McCarthy, the fourth son who is 32 and married, and belongs to the 6th East Lancashire Regiment lost his left eye through a bullet wound received at the Dardanelles. He was just coming out of the trenches when he was hit. He was taken to a hospital at Port Said, and afterwards came to a hospital at Brockenhurst, Hants. Pte. John McCarthy is still serving, being at the headquarters at Plymouth. He was formerly a joiner's labourer. 

The fifth brother, Thomas is now presumed to have been killed after being missing at the Dardanelles since August 9th 1915. He was 23 years of age then, and previously was employed at Rowley Colliery. At the time he was missing a comrade said he was wounded in the head and body, and then disappeared. 
Their cousin Pte. John Lavin, also of the East Lancashire Regiment was wounded and has been missing since July 1st. It is feared that he is dead.

The McCarthy family are connected with St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 21:07
Hi welcome to the Association and the forum.

Do you have the regimental numbers for your ancestors, thus would be if great assistance in locating information for you.

I will have a look and see what I can find.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 22 Oct 2012 at 15:29
BLAKELEY6357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLAKELEY6357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 21:12
I do not have John McCarthy's number, but this is the information I found for Thomas at the CWGC:

16967, "A" Coy. 6th Bn., East Lancashire Regiment who died on 09 August 1915 Age 23
Son of John and Mary McCarthy, of 11, Leyland Rd., Burnley.

Thank you.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 16:20
Hi,

I have done a quick for Thomas and his medal index card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 1/8/1915.

I will have a look at the War Diarys and see what I can come up with for you.
BLAKELEY6357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLAKELEY6357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 20:10
Eight days from arriving in Gallipoli to being killed... Unbelievable. 

Thanks again.
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:54
Hello BLAKELEY6357and a belated welcome to the Forum from me. Smile

Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic