The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli/Dardanelles Books > Out of Print Gallipoli/Dardanelles Related Books
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli Memories-Compton Mackenzie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli Memories-Compton Mackenzie
    Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 20:45
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this work ? Only came across a mention of it whilst looking at 'Chronicle of Friendship-Vera Brittain's Diary of the Thirties 1932- 1939'. According to the Endnotes, this book was surpressed under the Official Secrets Act in 1932.
Interesting.
Regards
Michael Bully
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 22:07
Hi Michael,

This book is well known along with the three others written about his escapades in world war one. The book is interesting in itself as far as being a personal account of the time but the writing style personally annoys me no end but obviously many people have enjoyed his works over time. Mind you Shakespeare annoys me as well!

Regards,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 23:43
Thanks Peter, will try and get hold of a copy and see how far I can get with it. Do you know why it was said to contravene the Official Secretars Act? Regards, Michael
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 04:35
My guess it would relate to details of the subversive tactics of dropping spies off behind the lines that he mentions which might have given ideas to the enemies of the realm. It has been a while since I have read the book but from memory there was some rather unkind words about certain Greeks which the Brits may have not wanted repeated.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 12 Oct 2012 at 04:36
ANZACPRIDE
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 20:07
Michael

If you cannot scource a hardcopy of the book it is available for free download in various electronic formats from the Internet archive. Org website just seat the texts for the title.

Edited by Mal Murray - 12 Oct 2012 at 20:10
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 22:06
Thanks for the posts -guys. Information appreciated.
I see that Compton Mackenzie gets a brief mention in 'Churchill's Wizards- The British Genius for Deception 1914-1945- Nicholas Rankin . Mackenzie was involved in British intelligence work at Lesbos in 1915, according to this author.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic