The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 1st/4th Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Private Andrew Newton Haig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Private Andrew Newton Haig
    Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 14:15
My mother's cousin:

From soldiers died in the great war in ancestry site:

12 July 1915, death location: Dardanelles, enlistment location: Coldstream, Berwick, rank: private, regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers, battalion: 1/4th Battalion, number: 4380, type of casualty: killed in action, theatre of war: Balkan Theatre.

Andrew was 21 when he was killed.

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 15:44
The following is Private Haig's CWGC entry (including Soldiers Died information).

Haigh Andrew Newton Private 4380 "E" Coy. 1st/4th Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers
Born: Croyden, Surrey Resided: Coldstream, Berwickshire Enlisted: Coldstream.
Age 21 Date of Death:12/07/1915 Cause: Killed in action (Initially reported as missing).
Family notes: Grandson of the late Andrew Haig, of Coldstream, Berwickshire.
Other notes: Private Haig's Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 4/6/1915; his Index Card shows him as "Missing 12/7/1915" and then as "Dead".
Panel Reference Panel 84 to 92 or 220 to 222. HELLES MEMORIAL.
Other memorials: Private Haig is commemorated on the Coldstream War Memorial, Coldstream Highstreet, Coldstream, Berwickshire; he is also named in the Scottish Roll of Honour in the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle.

His CWGC entry may be viewed here;

His entry on the Coldstream War Memorial webpage (incl photo) may be viewed here;

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Sep 2012 at 16:00
Joy Dean View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 20:43
Thank you. I have seen his army record in ancestry, but had only today seen that photo of him which makes him feel far more real now that I can see him.

Andrew was the only son of my great-aunt Amy Haig nee Newton and her husband John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic