The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli/Dardanelles Books > Out of Print Gallipoli/Dardanelles Related Books
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli Diary By Ian Hamilton

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli Diary By Ian Hamilton
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 15:26
Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding Sir Ian Hamilton's Gallipoli Diaries.I have my eye on both volumes,they are first edition,but i am mainly concerned with the quality of content.The two books i have have seem to quote both volumes,am i in for a dissapointment with them or are they essential reading ?

Many Thanks in advance,

Ron
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 16:45
Hi Ron,

I think that they are worthwhile as it is important to see how various people saw the conflict at the time. Some early works are inaccurate in part but to me that just shows how peoples views can be shaped by their own position in the conflict. Whether soldier or general, sailor or admiral everyone views things differently and I think that to truly get the whole picture of the campaign it would be very remiss not to include at least reading these tomes if not purchasing them. I buy what I can especially of earlier books. There are a few available for free online as you would have seen by the links from our home page.

The Australian war memorial has the two volumes of the Australian Official History available on line http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/first_world_war/ Though I normally hate online books the biggest advantage of them is that you can search out individual words very easily. These original tomes can be bought on ebay for around the 70 - 100AU  each depending on the quality of the book.

Anyway that's me thoughts on that one. Never can read too much I say. Then when you get to Gallipoli you can really make sense of how things turned out. 

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:37
Hi Ron,

I have read the Hamilton Diary's and I found them interesting and informative on several levels. I know there has been much debate in many quarters regarding their veracity on certain issues and some commentators see them as self-serving.

I agree with Peter that it is essential that we read as many books written from as many perspectives of the campaign as possible as this will allow us to build up our own picture of events from which we can form an educated opinion.

If you wish to review the book before spending a lot of money on it, you can download various electronic formats (PDF, Kindle etc) of the books for free from the following site;

For your information there are many more Gallipoli and Great War related books available as well. This is a genuine site run by various American and Canadian Colleges.

Best regards,

Mal

Ron Dutton View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 00:14
Thanks for the replies Mal and Peter !

I have purchased Sir Ian Hamilton's Gallipoli Diary,both volumes i had a choice between getting them printed on demand from a firm on Amazon or get the ones i have got off e- bay.The ones of e- bay are the 1920 first edition they are a bit worn but solid and got them for a really good price under 20GBP.

Out of my collection of nearly 300 books maybe only 15 are concerning The Great War the rest being WW2 etc.I have 6 books on Gallipoli at the moment and will look to expand that later in the year,as i feel my next priority next month is to join the Gallipoli Asscociation.

Regards,

Ron

Edited by Ron Dutton - 18 Aug 2012 at 00:17
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 14:59
Ron,

Your welcome. I have an extensive library myself of over 1500 books on Military History, but only in the last few years have I concentrated on The Great War and specifically Gallipoli.

I would suggest checking out the Internet Archive if you cannot access some of teh older Great war books on line it is an excellent free resource.

You goes without sayining that you would be most welcome in the Gallipoli Association.

Mal
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 21:19
Hi Mal,

Thanks for the reply.1500 books is fantastic ! I log mine on Librarything,i used to have over 500 but a lot of them were German titles which over the years i never mastered reading German that well so i sold them and was left with books in English.

I have finished Les Carlyon's Gallipoli,so iam going to read Gallipoli Diary next before going onto Peter Hart's Gallipoli.

Regards,

Ron
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:52
Thank you for highlighting this text and for posting the link to Hamilton's Diaries. Have just read the first chapter- particularly interested in General Hamilton's comments concerning when Lord Kitchener notified him that of his Dardanelles appointment.

" But my knowledge of the
Dardanelles was nil; of the Turk nil; of the strength of our own forces
next to nil. Although I have met K. almost every day during the past six
months, and although he has twice hinted I might be sent to Salonika;
never once, to the best of my recollection, had he mentioned the word
Dardanelles."
Interesting.

The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 12:38
Just noted that a new biography is due for publication in November 2012
' Johnny: The Legend and Tragedy of General Sir Ian Hamilton ' by John Philip Jones
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 14:22
I have taken delivery of the two volumes of Gallipoli Diary.The content is very good but unfortnatley the condition of them is shocking.Currently negotiating with the seller about it.I might have to read them online like Michael,until i can source some replacements.

I have noticed some modern reprints on Amazon but i think they must be heavily edited as they have a lot less pages.

Regards,

Ron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 17:41
Sorry to hear about the quality of the books Ron. Ebay is always that little bit risky but I have bought items on it that I would more than likely never have seen here in Australia. I tend to stay away from reprints as I can never be sure if they are abridged or not. I have seen one book with whole chapters missing. 

Regards,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 19:28
Thanks Peter,

It's probably only the second time i've had a bad transaction on e-bay.I buy about 50 per cent of my stuff on there,the rest i get from Amazon and a few other places.

What annoys me about these books is they have been water damaged at somepoint in there lives,and the seller described them as good condition,I could get them restored but its not cost effective.The content is that good i will have to get another set hopefully the same 1920 edition.

Regards

Ron

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 19:28
Hi Ron,
Sorry to hear about the condition of the books you received. nothing worse.

Regarding the editions available on Amazon having fewert pages, that could be down to the typeset used and the size of page used, check if they are unabridged. Just a quick thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 20:30
Yes that must be very annoying for you Ron. Hope that you get adequately compensated.
I'd really like to raise a naive question, 'Why did Ian Hamilton get appointed? And did the Dardanelles Commission make any adverse comment concerning his appointment?
Regards
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 05:55
Hi Michael,

From what I have been able to glean out of various books it seems that his style of leadership was not suitable for the western front so I guess that means that he was out of favour with that lot. Not too many Generals would have been keen to be part of the Dardenelles as it was very much seen as a sideshow and experienced generals were in rather short supply anyway. I can imagine as much as I have read about his personality Hamilton would not have been one to complain even if he wasn't all that happy with the appointment. Politics is the same in the armed services as it is within parliament.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Dutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 16:34
Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I would like to say i have came to a satisfactory solution regarding the copies of Gallipoli Diary i purchased.I have had to take up an offer of a partial refund from the seller,sadly the two volumes i recieved were beyond saving and had to be disposed of.I took them to a bookbinder who i have used in the past and he declared them a write off.

I have checked the Amazon editions they seem to have been edited to some degree so i will read them online and wait til a good set of the 1920 originals turn up.

Regards,

Ron

Edited by Ron Dutton - 30 Aug 2012 at 16:40
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 20:13
Ron,

You can download them to your computer from the Internet archive site in PDF format.

Mal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 21:48
Hello Peter

I have just treated myself to a copy of 'The Happy Warrior-A Life of General Sir Ian Hamilton' by his nephew Ian Hamilton. It will be a while before I will get round to reading it, but am interested to learn more about Sir Ian Hamilton.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards, Michael
[

QUOTE=Peter Trounson]Hi Michael,

From what I have been able to glean out of various books it seems that his style of leadership was not suitable for the western front so I guess that means that he was out of favour with that lot. Not too many Generals would have been keen to be part of the Dardenelles as it was very much seen as a sideshow and experienced generals were in rather short supply anyway. I can imagine as much as I have read about his personality Hamilton would not have been one to complain even if he wasn't all that happy with the appointment. Politics is the same in the armed services as it is within parliament.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter
[/QUOTE]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 21:34
Should also add that found another biogprahy; 'General Sir Ian Hamilton 1853-1947 A Soldier's Life' by John Lee, 2000.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic